RachelBedi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2003

FollowHyperlink Help

I have a command button to open files pertaining to lines of data in my database - it works great - assuming I know what kind of file extension the documentation will be. Unfortunately users may be saving documentation with a standardized naming convention but with an infinite number of extensions.

Is there a way I could code this so that it will open any file with the name associated with the file regardless of what program the documentation was saved as?

Below is the code for my command button;

Private Sub Command2_Click()

Application.FollowHyperlink "S:\_Activations\Authentication Docs\" & Me.PaymodeID & "_co.doc"
    End Sub

irish634 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Look at using FileSystemObjects. You can loop through folders and files then extract extensions and file names, to open what you want.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelBedi View Post
    I have a command button to open files pertaining to lines of data in my database - it works great - assuming I know what kind of file extension the documentation will be. Unfortunately users may be saving documentation with a standardized naming convention but with an infinite number of extensions.

Is there a way I could code this so that it will open any file with the name associated with the file regardless of what program the documentation was saved as?

Below is the code for my command button;

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    Application.FollowHyperlink "S:\_Activations\Authentication Docs\" & Me.PaymodeID & "_co.doc"
    End Sub
    Your code is assuming/assigning an extension of "_co.doc"

If the users are storing all sorts of extensions, and you go for that, then why not let them pass the entire filename with extension?
    If there is an assignment/association to open extension xxx with program yyy, that may work.

Another option is to allow them to send you files in format a, b or c. I'm sort of from the school , you use a, but times are changing.

Users should not be allowed to dream up any extension they please. It sounds (based on the folder Authentication..) that this should be standardized.
    Do you have a data management, information management, standards Policy unit, or someone who thinks they "manage" such an organization.

Standards, with a limited number of justified options, would seem to resolve this.

Just a few ramblings.

Hi Orange - I would love to be able to tell them that they can only save documentation in one format ie. PDF unfortunately that would be a lot of change for this department very fast.

The best I think could happen is there would be two options - either PDF or paint (to save screen shots)

Any other suggestions? FileSystemObject seems to be the best bet but will take a lot more research for me to figure out how to use it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    How do you create pdfs now?

Your code was showing .doc
    so how does doc(Word) fit with pdf

I have a free pdf creator (I'm not really recommending this approach) as a print driver. It saves "prints (screens, diagrams..) as a pdf.

You could probably make a "quasi" business case rthat multiple formats are causing grief, and money (people's time, ...).

Does everybody get to make changes to the production database design???

You could give them a list of formats from which they could select pdf, doc, jpg

You know the issue and the players.

rather than using this I went with adding a browse button to capture the hyperlink and store the hyperlink in the table and form

Credit goes to;

http://bytes.com/topic/access/insigh...hyperlink-form

Windows XP Access 2003
    Glad you have it solved. Thanks for posting yout solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.