Siiig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Wild Cards in Linked Image Names

Hi Access Forums!

I'm relatively new to access, working on some basic query/table/report setups.

I have a Report that pulls a direct file name from a table. In the table it will look something like this "\\Server\Images\Report\This-Test-Image_500.jpg", and on the Report it's a Linked Picture with the table as it's source.

Currently the report works great, and pulls the images correctly.

What I'm looking to do is modify the query to simplify the names in the folders. Instead of having ""\\Server\Images\Report\This-Test-Image_500.jpg" I'd like to have something to the effect of...

"\\Server\Images\Report\This-Test-Image*.jpg"

Note the asterisk. I tried just doing this brute force style, but images are no longer displayed (not surprising to me).

Would something like this be possible? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Not if I understand you correctly. The current complete path/filename is specific to a file on the server. So you would need the complete path/filename to get the file.
    BUt if you want to display something different, that's fine. You just can't have part of a path name and expect to get an explicit file.

Siiig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Not if I understand you correctly. The current complete path/filename is specific to a file on the server. So you would need the complete path/filename to get the file.
    BUt if you want to display something different, that's fine. You just can't have part of a path name and expect to get an explicit file.
    Well, what if I was looking to get an explicit file based off of non-explicit path. Life, for instance, "\\Server\Images\Report\This-Test-Image*", where the only image in the directory would be "This-Test-Image-Someothertext.jpg"?

I'm just not clear on where wildcards are acceptable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.