CaveCanem is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Database updates to multiple simultaneous users

I am developing a simple database to track phone calls at my office. This database will be used by multiple people at the same time (so, yes, I will split the database). One user will add records to a "phone calls" table. At the same time, several other users will monitor an "available phone calls" query that shows them the new call records that are available mark as assigned to themselves. Once they have completed the phone call, they will mark the record "closed" so that the call record will drop from the query.

My question: will each user's front-end "available phone calls" query be automatically and immediately updated as other users add or edit records via their queries? Or will the user have to take some sort of action to refresh the data in their query in order to make sure that they see the most up-to-the-moment results? I'd like to find a way to make the process automatic, if possible. Is there a best practice for accomplishing this?

Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A query will not auto update/refresh. You want to use a form - a form has a property named Timer; that is what you can use to trigger the form to requery (which triggers its underlying record source to requery i.e. query). You can of course also force a requery by a user's button's OnClick event.

I believe the timer parameter is in 1/1000th so 5000 = 5 seconds. but not 100% sure and a little research will resolve that point.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

CaveCanem is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Perfect. I was going to use a form as a portal for the users to monitor the query anyway, so that will do nicely. Thanks very much.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.