Baldeagle is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

VB Loading DLL and Communicating with Server

I live in Northern Ireland and have developed quite a substantial database for a charity in the Republic of Ireland. When an improvement is required we use Dropbox to transfer the database between us.
    Following the last exchange a couple of days ago a button which opens an Excel workbook didn't work - I got an error message 'Error in loading DLL'. I discovered that a Reference 'MS Excel 14.0 Object Library' was marked as 'MISSING'. In the previous version of the database it was version 12.0 of this reference that was ticked and the previous version of the database still functions properly. How could the reference have changed to one that is showing as MISSING? And it wouldn't let me untick the 14.0 reference and tick the 12.0 version - 'Can't perform requested operation'.

I have now tried Compact & Repair and although the reference (12.0 is now ticked and is not showing as MISSING and there is no sign of 14.0) I am now getting the following message 'A problem occurred when MS Office Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control'.

Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and how can I get it working again? I am a real rookie as far as VB is concerned so I need some simple guidance please!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Any of 'us' using Access 2010?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    As far as I know the charity in Limerick had installed Access 2010 but had then reverted to Access 2007 to be consistent with my computer. Could that have left something which is likely to keep on causing problems on future exchanges?

June7 is offline VIP
    If they changed the reference then sent you the file - maybe. Try exchanging the old working version and see if the issue repeats.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's about bedtime on this side of the pond and tomorrow is Sunday so i'll follow this up on Monday and will let you know what happens. If the problem repeats do you have a solution? Maybe they hadn't done a full uninstall of Access 2010? If so might doing that solve the problem?

June7 is offline VIP
    I went through install/uninstall issues with Access 2007/2010 and ran accross http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport...-products.aspx

I downloaded the OffScrub07.vbs and OffScrub10.vbs files and executed the scripts.

Windows XP Access 2007
    We exchanged the database this morning as suggested but the error did not recur. However they have now reverted to the 2007 version of both Access and Excel and I am trusting that last week's glitch will not become a regular feature of our exchanges in future! I appreciate your guidance, as ever.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.