Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    brookierook is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

General Help indeed!

Oh please help me, I think my head may explode.

I have been building a database for my market research team. Basically, my boss would like to query who's doing which projects which should seem easy enough but for some reason when I run the query for anyone it comes up with two results. And I KNOW there are more. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

I'm a novice and I've done the best I could but I can't help but think that there might be an easier way to do what I'm trying to do.

So basically, my team does Market Research and the purpose of the DB is to track projects. So my boss likes to get a glimpse of what projects are going on in which countries, view projects each of our team members are working on, which projects we are doing for which clients and which suppliers we have hired to do which projects (separate queries).

Now this would be easy enough but there are a few variables and this is where the trouble is. SO, I wanted to create a form for our team members to fill in to add projects to the database that they can update when they need to. We need to be able to see which countries were requested and which countries were confirmed for the research project and be able to run queries on each individual country. But that means when they fill in the form they need to be able to select multiple countries for 'Requested' and 'Confirmed'. I'm just not sure of the best way to do this. I've done it as a query and I have tried to put it as a subform into a form but it has not been working out. Not sure at all what to do.

It's the same thing for the companies we hire to do these projects. We have a few companies pitch to do the project and then we select. So we'd like to see that as well. Is this asking too much? I'm not sure if I've set it up right and I've not even created the form because it hasn't been working right at all!

Please help!!!!

Grateful user,

Brooke
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	10399
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	10400

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Will a project always have an associated supplier? Will a project always have an associated country?

Yes to both. Always.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I might not have asked my question correctly. Will a project have both a supplier AND a country associated with it?

Yes. Projects will always have a country and supplier associated with it. Sorry!

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Your first issue dealt with the query returning only 2 results:

for some reason when I run the query for anyone it comes up with two results. And I KNOW there are more. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.
    You have several other relationships coming off the project table, each of these would have to have at least 1 corresponding record. Do you have a corresponding Purchase order record for each project? In the project manager table etc.?

I do have a corresponding purchase order for each project. But not in the Project Manager table. Would I need to do this?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I do have a corresponding purchase order for each project. But not in the Project Manager table. Would I need to do this?
    Not necessarily, but let's make sure that is the issue first. For 1 record, add a project manager and then rerun the queries and see if the project shows up in the results.

No, it's still bringing up the same two..... even though i've changed the project manager. I've been messing with it so much I'm not even sure it's set up properly.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Not changed the project manager but add a project manager to a project that does not yet have a project manager assigned.

If you want, you can zip & post a copy of your database with any sensitive data removed of course, and we can take a look at it.

That would be amazing! I have not entered any actual data into it because I wanted to make sure that it worked first. Thank you thank you! I think I've messed everything up because of i've been trying every which way to get it to do what I want it to do and it is not happening.

Hmmm, can I send it on here? I can't see where I can attach anything?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Instead of using the quick reply, click on the Go Advanced button below the reply window. This will bring up more options; just look for the paperclip icon.

From a logic point of view, for the suppliers, if you associate a supplier with a project does that automatically mean that you are going to pitch them on the project? If so, you would not need the pitched field, only the selected field (which could be a simple yes/no data type). I assume the countries would be the same way. You would only need 1 field to confirm (yes/no)

I have the yes/no for countries and I need to do them for suppliers as well, but I wanted to make sure one worked before I did another. Or, I wanted to make sure I could query properly before I did anymore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.