redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Hello and good morning, Remove imput mask on a table with VBA

This application has 100 users, each user stores around 40 passwords.... SO a common request I get is to allow them to see their passwords in the application, currently this table column has an input mask of password.

Everyone is forgetting their passwords, all the time.

So, My remedy will be a button that says "Show Passwords" Once clicked, they will have to enter a password. If the password matches what is on file... Then I want to be able to remove the input mask allowing them to view their passwords. Then on form close, I can flip the input mask back on.

I was thinking about just password protecting the entire application, but that does not account for people who forget to lock their PC while away from their desk.

Quick bits.

The front end, links to a credentials table in a separate database

Credentials.mdb is the credentials file
    tblwebcreds is the table housing the information
    chrwebpass is the column with the input mask

I have found something like this in the past, but I don't know if specifically applied to input masks, I think it applied towards text boxes.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never been asked this question. I believe it would depend on whether or not the mask is applied at the table field property level or at the form level.

At the table field property level - I tend to think nothing can be done (although I could be wrong on this point) and you would need to take the common approach of just having them create a new PW that over writes the old forgotten one.....

At the Form level - then this means you as admin can view the PW in the table; and so it would be easy enough to make a hidden text box on the form that is not masked - and trigger its visibility appropriately.

Not sure this helps a whole lot but good luck on this,

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It is at the Table Field Property Level

Well, This is not a time pressing matter so I will start my googling extravaganza when needed. Thank you for the advice/input on the matter. I'm sure I can find a decent/acceptable work around. I am a master of coming up with workarounds, just read the signature.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Well, if you set it up as a Continuous Form and show the their passwords through a Form Field, you should be able to just remove the input mask on your Form Field to show the password.

Never actually tried it myself though so I'm not sure.

If that doesn't work, you could dump it to a temporary Table with a regular Text Field instead of a Password one and display that Table instead.

P.S.
    Since the "Password" Field isn't actually encrypted, I don't use it at all on any of my databases. I just store the data as a regular text string. After all, if the user's smart enough to access the Table directly, they're smart enough to change the Field format to make the passwords visible too so there's no real point.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.