giblets is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Concatenate Field or Group by in Report or or or?

I'm looking for a way to summarize multiple fields of data from the same column in a single field. I've seen this page but have been unable to get it to work. I save the code listed but do not know which of the example fields would relate to my table.

Code:
    SELECT CompanyName,  ConcatRelated("OrderDate", "tblOrders", "CompanyID = " & [CompanyID]) 
        FROM tblCompany;
    I saw that I can create a report and select "group by," but then all the columns appear on different lines rather than summarized on one line. Here is an example of how I would like the data to appear, separated by commas or with specific dates within parentheses. The reason I want them all on one line is to provide an easier to read/more succinct summary.

e.g.
    ITEM LOCATION DATE
    GORP EAST 1/1/2012
    GORP EAST 2/1/2012
    GORP WEST 1/1/2012
    FLORP WEST 1/1/2012

displayed as:
    ITEM LOCATION DATE
    GORP EAST 1/1/2012, 2/1/2012
    GORP WEST 1/1/2012
    FLORP WEST 1/1/2012

or (even better):
    ITEM LOCATIONandDATE
    GORP EAST (1/1/2012, 2/1/2012), WEST (1/1/2012)
    FLORP WEST (1/1/2012)

not as:
    ITEM LOCATION DATE
    GORP EAST 1/1/2012
    2/1/2012
    GORP WEST 1/1/2012
    FLORP WEST 1/1/2012

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    VBA code is only way I know to do this. The link you reference provides sample code. I created a table of the posted example data. This query produces the first concatenated output:

SELECT DISTINCT ITEM, LOCATION, ConcatRelated("[Date]","tblCompany","ITEM='" & [ITEM] & "' AND LOCATION='" & [LOCATION] & "'","ITEM, LOCATION") AS DATES
    FROM tblCompany;

Then I saw that your attempt includes CompanyID and the date fieldname is different. Try this:

SELECT DISTINCT tblCompany.CompanyID, tblCompany.ITEM, tblCompany.LOCATION, ConcatRelated("[OrderDate]","tblCompany","CompanyID=" & [CompanyID] & " AND ITEM='" & [ITEM] & "' AND LOCATION='" & [LOCATION] & "'","CompanyID, ITEM, LOCATION, OrderDate") AS DATES
    FROM tblCompany;

Could adjust code for the result shown in your second output example or use first query in another query:

SELECT DISTINCT Query1.CompanyID, Query1.ITEM, ConcatRelated("Location & ' (' & Dates & ')'","Query1","CompanyID=" & [CompanyID] & " AND ITEM='" & [ITEM] & "'","CompanyID, ITEM, Location, Dates") AS LocDates
    FROM Query1;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    CompanyID? The code I posted was copy/pasted from the website, not something that relates to my data.

June7 is offline VIP
    Then show your attempted code (the query SQL statement) that uses your fieldnames. Why doesn't it work - error message, wrong results, nothing happens? Did you even try the first query I suggested but using your actual table and field names?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the help so far, I'm still fiddling with it so far and will report back if (when) I have more questions!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Cool stuff. See attached example.

How can I make items within concatenated fields appear in alphabetical or chronological order?

test.2012-1218.accdb.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Include COLLDATE in the function's ORDER BY argument.

SELECT DISTINCT Collections.SPECIES, Collections.COLLFROM, ConcatRelated("[COLLDATE]","Collections","SPECIES='" & [SPECIES] & "' AND COLLFROM='" & [COLLFROM] & "'","SPECIES,COLLFROM,COLLDATE") AS COLLDATE
    FROM Collections;

Windows XP Access 2007
    MAGIC. Thanks again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.