maxx102 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Query - Counts

Hello, I am not really sure how to word this but I will take my best shot as I am asking for some assistance.

I am in the process of converting a very large, multi-page Excel spreadsheet into a Access Database.

This database is going to be used to quickly look up and update members of our building's emergency response team, their location, training, etc.

In my main db list I have things like last name, first name, the building the work in, the floor they work on, and what training certs they currently posses.

One of the pages on the spreadsheet has a floor by floor count of personnel. Example - tower #1 - floor 1 = 2 people, Tower 1 - floor 2 = 6 people, Tower 3 - Floor 3 = 4 people.

In the database table, I have a column named "Building" and a column named "Floor". Is there a way to run a query that would show all of the various counts on one page. Meaning, if I have 10 floors, a 60 people, can I have access tell me what floors have what number of people on them, if so, how do I do it?

Sorry if this is confusing.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    That sounds like a GROUP BY (Totals) aggregate query. With QueryDesigner in DesignView click the Totals button on ribbon. The SQL would be something like:
    SELECT Tower, Floor, Count(*) As CountPersonnel FROM tablename GROUP BY Tower, Floor;

Or build a report that uses Grouping & Sorting with aggregate calcs in group footers.

These are basic Access functionality and Access Help has guidelines. Or Google for on-line tutorials. Or refer to an introductory book.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.