injanib is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Tables Lost from Back-End

Hello,

A few months ago I created a db for a small school. The database was split into FE and BE, with the BE on a share folder and accessed from multiple stations. It has worked great for a long time. Recently they contacted me saying that they cannot link to the BE anymore when they try the FE on a new workstation. After trying to do troubleshooting on the phone and getting nowhere, I asked them to email me a copy of the BE. When I open the BE there is only one of the original tables with multiple copies numbered consecutively. There are also other tables named "Name Auto Correct Save Failures". This is the least of my worries. I can fix this part, but the problem is that none of the other tables exist. I have tried and a Compact and Repair to no avail. They say that they have never directly open the BE file, except trying to link to it. To make the matter worse, they have failed to get a backup copy of the BE in a few months.

Does anyone know why the other tables are gone, or if they are gone permanently? Thanks.

Access version is 2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Never encountered this before. Unless the tables have been hidden, they must be gone. Did you keep a copy of the db? At least you could recover the structure if not the data. However, that doesn't explain what happened and won't prevent happening again. Review this article, take special note of the last paragraph about permissions http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005257523.aspx. Also http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010256413.aspx

My only idea is for some reason the objects in db were renamed but saving the renamed objects failed. Again, more of a guess because never run into this.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

injanib is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yes I did keep a copy of the db. I also had a copy of the BE that they sent me in January that holds their data up until then. So, at least some of their data is still safe.

Thanks for your input.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.