Crazybrit is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Calculating a sum in a query

Hi,
    I Have created a database for pool league statistics and would with various tables similar to this schema http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...tics/index.htm
    The Result Code is populated with 1 - Home Win or 2 Away Win and i want to create a query that returns a list of players and how many wins they have I Cant seem to figure out how to go about this any help will be much appreciated i have attached a copy of the database in zip format thanks again
    Kind Regards Crazybrit
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Advise not to have Lookups in tables. Review http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

See if this is what you want:

Query1:
    SELECT "Home" As Side, HomePlayer1 As Player, Choose(Result_Code, "Win", "Loss") As Place FROM Games
    UNION ALL SELECT "Home", HomePlayer2, Choose(Result_Code, "Win", "Loss") FROM Games
    UNION ALL SELECT "Away", AwayPlayer1, Choose(Result_Code, "Loss", "Win") FROM Games
    UNION ALL SELECT "Away", AwayPlayer2, Choose(Result_Code, "Loss", "Win") FROM Games;

There is no wizard or designer for UNION, must type (or copy/paste) in the SQL view window of query designer.

DoublesGameID record 29 is missing Result_Code. The Choose function will error until this is corrected or use:
    Choose(Nz(Result_Code,3), ..., ..., "none")

Query2:
    SELECT Query1.Player, Sum(IIf([Place]="Win",1,0)) AS Wins, Sum(IIf([Place]="Loss",1,0)) AS Losses
    FROM Query1
    GROUP BY Query1.Player;
    Last edited by June7; 12-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Oh Thats brilliant thanks i have made some adjustments because i neglected to say i didnt want the doubles games included in the query but nontheless your answer helped me out fabulously i wonder if you could help me further i also need to make a query that lists points for teams per season however the points are calulated on a point for each game won and 3 points Extra for an Away Match win and 2 Points Extra for a HomeMatch win Thanks again Crazybrit

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What determines a match win? Best of 5 games?

Modify the UNION (adjusted to exclude 'doubles'):
    SELECT MatchID, DoublesGameID, "Home" As Side, HomePlayer1 As Player, Choose(Result_Code, "Win", "Loss") As Place FROM Games WHERE HomePlayer2 Is Null And AwayPlayer2 Is Null
    UNION ALL SELECT MatchID, DoublesGameID, "Away", AwayPlayer1, Choose(Result_Code, "Loss", "Win") FROM Games WHERE HomePlayer2 Is Null And AwayPlayer2 Is Null;

Join that query to other tables:
    SELECT Year([Match_date]) AS Yr, Matches.Season, Query1.MatchID, Query1.DoublesGameID, Team.team_ID, Query1.Player, Query1.Side, Query1.Place
    FROM Team INNER JOIN (Players INNER JOIN (Matches INNER JOIN Query1 ON Matches.MatchID = Query1.MatchID) ON Players.Player_ID = Query1.Player) ON Team.team_ID = Players.TeamID
    ORDER BY Year([Match_date]), Matches.Season, Query1.MatchID, Query1.DoublesGameID, Team.team_ID, Query1.Player, Query1.Side, Query1.Place;

Use that query as basis for further data manipulation. Example:
    SELECT Query2.Yr, Query2.Season, Query2.MatchID, Query2.team_ID, Query2.Side, Count(Query2.Place) AS CountOfPlace, Count([Place])+IIf(Count([Place])>=3,IIf([Side]="Home",2,3),0) AS Points
    FROM Query2
    WHERE (((Query2.Place)="Win"))
    GROUP BY Query2.Yr, Query2.Season, Query2.MatchID, Query2.team_ID, Query2.Side;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

OMG!!! Thanks again June7 i feel such a Lamer/newbie rest assured i have gathered loads from this forum in just a few days and i am sure there is more to come. I appreciate also your answer in my thread on the combo boxes in forms thanks again for sharing your time and superior knowledge
    Kindest Regards Crazybrit

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.