sammer021486 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Use form to populate a table from another table

I am trying to create a form that will populate a table by pulling information from a second table that has no other purpose other than to ensure that data entry is consistant all the time.

Table 1 is my primary table and will be the only one used to do all searches, queries and so forth.

Table 2 is just a list of addresses and its sole purpose is to ensure that when someone is filling in the form the address will always be the same.

So Table 2 will have "Main Street", for example, and when a user goes to enter in their address in the form, using a combobox, Table 1 will be populated with "Main Street" and the user will not be able to change the way "Main Street" is entered (e.g. Main St., Main, etc.)

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have solved the problem at current by using an SQL query which just shows all the street names as the row source for the combobox, then placed the control source to the Street Address in Table 1.

Is there another way that I can acheive the same result but not using a SQL query to populate the row source?

hawzmolly is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Report with disabled address

When you call up the report I am assuming the address you want will always be the same. I also assume the address is displayed on your report.

You can disable one or many of the sections on your form that you do not wish to not allow the user to enter.

Right click on the field you wish to preserve then click on "Properties" of the item i.e., "Address" or items you want to preserve, then click on "Data", then change the "Enabled" property to NO.

When you open your form you will see the "Address" greyed out but will show the address for information to the user.

Once this is done you can probably delete the extra table you have created as long as you have a method to ensure the data entered, such as the address, is correct. I would also make sure that you can have only one unique address using "No Duplicates" on the address field of your table.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hawzmolly View Post
    You can disable one or many of the sections on your form that you do not wish to not allow the user to enter.
    I want the user to be able to enter the address. I just wanted to limit them to only one way for the address to be entered.

So the example that I gave above was that I only wanted the user to enter "Main Street". I do not want them to be able to vary how "Main Street" can be entered, so they can not enter in "Main" or "Main St.".

This is to make sure that data entry is consistant, because I was running into many instances where the address had been entered in as "BB Cres." or "BB" or "BB Crescent" or "BB Cr". I wanted to prevent this from happening and thus created the extra table which just has a unique address, that the user will select from the combobox to fill in their address so that it will always be consistant.

The way I acheived the desired result was to make a plain query to find all the street addresses and then made the query my row source for the combobox and the control source the Owners Table (table 1 in example).

Edit: So this allows the user to select their address from the combobox, and then their choice will be populated into the Owners table, pulling the address from the Address Table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.