Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kannuberg is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrake View Post
    What I suggest is the following:

Edit table A and add a new field

Bloodline Text 1

Run an update query on this field and populate it with "M" Maternal

Create an append query and append data from table 2 into table 1 and for the field Bloodline append "P" Paternal.

You will now have both sets of grandparents in the same table each person being either a maternal or paternal parent.

Each one will have their own autonumber which becomes the primary key.

You can then create two queries

QryMaternal & QryPaternal

Set a condition in each one M & P

Now in your relationships you relate QryMaternal to ParentA and QryPaternal to ParentB on a one to one relationship. As the parent can oly be either the maternal or paternal grandparent, they cannot be both.

David
    Thank you, I'll need to chew on that for a couple of minutes, but it sounds very good.
    The problem is that several other forms are depending on these two tabels. I have also made ALOT of reports based on both tables. If I reduce the two tables to one I'll get much work to do, Isn't there a simpler way?
    Last edited by kannuberg; 09-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.

genesis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    dcrake suggestion is another way to do it

Windows XP Access 2003
    The problem is that several other forms are depending on these two tabels. I'm not sure how to handle it, if I reduce two tables to one?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    pertaining to your post number 12. yes. that should not be your primary key. autonumber on the other hand maybe your option to use as primary key but it would be wiser if you will not rely on autonumbers as primary key, you can always create new id by yourself.
    I now moved the primary key from the field that relates the tables, to the autonumber field. But the situation is still the same.
    If I make a report on Calendar and PersonsA then it works, but if I make a report on Calendar and PersonsA and PersonsB Then I get error.
    So the problem is that I have two relations to one table right? what will I have to do to allow two relations to one table (as shown in the attached picture in the beginning)?

Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy Still need a clue on how to do it

I still don't know why i can't make a report on a three tables where one has two relations, one to each of the other tables.

I'm sure there is a very simple solution. It's just that I don't have much time left to figure this out. So please if anyone has a clue?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.