havachip is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Subforms: I'd like to not open a new record when tabbing out of a subform.

Hello everyone. I’m new to these forums, and new to Access, so forgive me for being a complete noob J

I have a question regarding sub-forms and record submission.

I’m building a relatively simple database to inventory IT related equipment (desktops, laptops, etc…). I’d like a user to be able to submit all of the device information from one form, without having to bounce around to several forms. For most attributes in related fields I’m using combo-boxes, but for a few attributes I’ve needed to use junction tables (ex: a desktop can have multiple network adapters), so I’m currently using sub-forms for these attributes in order to have all the data entry take place from one page, or primary form.

I’m running into two problems.

1.) I’ve removed all of the bordering, the navigation bar, record selector, etc.. from the sub-form so they appear to be part of the one main form. I have a On Lost Focus event to tab out of the sub-form to the next logical field in the main form. The problem I’m facing is that, upon tabbing out of the sub-form, the sub-forms record is submitted and the subform opens to a new record. I’d like this information to be available in the fields until the final form submission so that the user can review all of the fields.

2.) Another somewhat unrelated problem: Many PCs have multiple network adapters, so in my DB design I’ve used a junction table to create a many-to-many relationship. What’s the best way to handle this in a form? Currently I have to resubmit the sub-form multiple times, for each adapter, but this isn’t very intuitive for someone else using the form. I’d like to be able to have a button, or something similar, which would allow me to add another adapter.

Thanks in advance for anyone that responds. I’m having a hard time trying to describe the problems I’m facing. Please ask me questions, or request additional information, so I can clarify my problem. I’m pulling my hair out trying to get my form to work like I’d like it to!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Are subforms' DataEntry property set to Yes?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.