haggis999 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Question Have changed path to a reference but old path still being used!

I have copied one of my Access 2003 apps from my desktop to my laptop, where the folder structure is different. There are three related MDB files, all of which have a reference to an MDA file that I use as a common library for shared functions. I have edited Tools/References to use the new path to this MDA file but the Open event of one of the forms in my primary MDB file is triggering the following error,

'G:\David\My Documents\MS Access\CompData\CompDataLibrary.mda' is not a valid path. Make sure the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

The path quoted in that message is the path that relates to my desktop PC. A search of the entire hard disk of my laptop does not find a single reference to that path. Another odd thing is that the error happens on a line that references a function in the MDA file but if I check that function in the Immediate window while stopped on that line I get the expected return value.

Can anyone suggest where this incorrect path reference may be originating?

David

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    My guess is that it doesn't like the spaces in your folder structure name. Try copying everything (including the mda file) to a folder structure without any spaces or other odd characters such as !@#, etc... in the name and then use that in your path statement. If an mda works like an mdw, you would need to reference the path and mda name when opening the db (like you would with an mdw security file). Otherwise if you try to open the accdb directly, you'll most likely get an error since it needs to know where the mda file resides which is part of the shortcut. You'd want to configure a shortcut link which opens the accdb and references the path/mda file name in that shortcut (I can't recall the exact syntax.)

Unfortunately, that cannot be the correct answer.

Firstly, spaces in filenames have not normally been a problem for Windows apps for many, many years. Secondly, everything works fine on my desktop machine despite the use of such spaces. Thirdly, the error message shows that something in the system on my laptop is looking for a path that is only relevant on my desktop computer (the use of spaces is therefore irrelevant, as that path will never work).

The key to my problem is to find the code that still references the old path.

David

I have just remembered that quite a few of the strange problems I have experienced with Access over the years have been fixed by creating a new blank database and importing everything from the one that was misbehaving. This process seems to clear up a variety of obscure internal corruption issues - and so it has proved on this occasion.

My recreated database app now works as expected. The previously mentioned error no longer occurs.

David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.