captgnvr is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 2K Access 97

One unknown filed props up when print preview is clicked

Dear All

I have put and removed so many fields in a form, query and report.

When I have finalised the output from the query, when I click on the form to preview the report, it keeps asking for a text box or a field "join_date".

For ex: enter parameter value screen asking for "join_date". once i click ok with or without entering any value, the report comes up with all correct value.

I just dont find this field in the form or in query or in report design.

I have individually clicked on all the fields to see and did not find.

So can any one help me to solve this. Also would like to know if there is a way to find out if the said textbox or field exists in a form or report design? Appreciate quick help.

CGM3 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you tried running the query by itself? If you are prompted for join_date then, that's where you should find it, possibly as a 'virtual field'.

If it's not there, open the report in development mode, right-click on the title bar and left-click on the Properties option of the menu that shows up. Select each object in the dropdown combo list that should default as Report to see if its record source is join_date (or =join_date, or otherwise references join_date).

Windows 2K Access 97
    D/Sirs

I am having problem in reading your response and luckily in gmail a breif note of ur solution I have pasted here to ask for more clarification.

I am using access97.

aa) Have you tried running the query by itself? If you are prompted for join_date then, that's where you should find it, possibly as a 'virtual field'.

ANS: the query runs fine and no message props to enter parameter value.
    What is "virtual field"

bb) If it's not there, open the report in development mode, right-click on the title bar and left-click on the Properties option of the menu that shows up. See if there's an object named join_date listed there (in the dropdown combo list that should default as Report).

ANS: Need clarification-- open in development mode you mean in design mode?? anyhow i opened the report in design mode and right clicked on the title bar ( the blue band right at the top where it shows database name and report name) but do not see option properties; see only short cut menu to close, max etc

If it's not there either, do the same thing with the form and see it there's an object named join_date there.
    ANS: I have clicked on every single field and moved it out to see if this text box "join_date" is underneath but no luck.

since there is some problem with this site, can u email me ur help to captgnvr@gmail.com so that i can get it out of my system and unable to proceed further without finding out why this is happening.--thnks

CGM3 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    A 'virtual field' is one you create in a query that doesn't exist in a table. For instance, say you've got a date field named [DueDate], and you want to know what fiscal year it falls into (fiscal year 2009, for instance, went from October 1st 2008 thru September 30th 2009).

You'd create the 'virtual field' by putting the formula--

=IIf(DatePart("m",[DueDate])>9,DatePart("yyyy",[DueDate])+1,DatePart("yyyy",[DueDate]))

--into a query field instead of choosing an actual existing field. Access would then preface the formula with something like Expr1: (which can be edited to something like FY, and when you ran the query that field would show the fiscal year into which DueDate falls.

As for the second part, my apologies, I was thinking of Access 2003, which gives a combo box in the Properties form display that lists all the objects (text fields, labels, etc) the report contains. You should still be able to get the Properties option on the menu by right-clicking each object in turn, though (see the attached screen shots); you'll just have to do each one separately.

The thing is, it's possible your "join_date" is the named record source for a text field that's hidden from view, possibly under another field or reduced in size to a line or something. You might try deleting one field on the report and running it, then do the same with another field, until the report no longer asks for "join_date". The last field you deleted would be the culprit; close the report WITHOUT saving the changes, then open it again and delete just that field.

Of course, an alternate solution is to create a "join_date" virtual field in the query that does nothing except provide the desired field.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Change the RecordSource of your report and save it. Then go back in and set it back to what you had originally and save it. Now see if the problem is still there.

Windows 2K Access 97

problem solved

D/CGM3 AND RURAL GUY

Thanks for the guidance. My ship was out of coverage area and in the mean time i solved it by downloading a tool called v97 which has deep search and found the textbox "join date" in 'view' under 'sorting n grouping.

Now that i have deleted that textbox, it is solved.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Thanks for posting back with your success. I guess you are ready to use the Solved thread tool at this point right?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.