empyrean90 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Multiple Select Combo Box

I have a database that is designed for a project database. I have several fields that allow the user to select sub-contractors for the project. These work just fine, the list opens up and they are able to select none, one or as many as they need to select ok and it adds those values to that record. After I got comments back from the managers using the DB there were several fields that they want to be able to select multiple values (ie. chemical application).

I went into the back end of the database and set the property on that field to "allow multiple values" and then re added the box to the form once that change was made. The problem is that on the new fields that are set up to allow multiple values the functionality of the combo box is broken. I can see the list with the check boxes next to the items and can check the boxes I want but I can not select OK to confirm the sections.

I have compared the properties of the working and non working combo boxes as far as I can see there are no differences between them. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    These are multi-value fields? I NEVER use multi-value field. You set the Lookup properties in table then created the combobox on form?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

In the table I have the properties set so the field runs a basic select query to display the values that the user would need for that field from a storage table. Also on the table field property the option of "Allow Multiple Values" is set to yes because certain fields can have multiple applicable choices.

When I created the form I have the appropriate table set as its data source and from the list of available fields I added the combo box from there so it retains the search query and properties from the table.

I am using this because I am looking for the easiest use for the end users with the least possible error. By giving them a list to chose applicable selections was the best way I knew to do that. I didn't want to have 50 check boxes on the form for them to select which contractors were used on the projects and I don't want them hand typing them because of inherent typing errors or differences which makes running queries later difficult. That was the best way that I knew how to solve that particular design requirement.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Combobox good, multi-value field [usually] bad.

Don't know why the multi-value selection not saving. Sounds like setup correctly. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I was in the process of getting the database put together to send you and the issues resolved itself. All I had to do was update the linked tables in the front end and the functionality was restored. Thanks for your help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.