Stefan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Web DB Subform drag&drop doesnt work

Hi all,

I only recently started to work on my first Access project so I am new to the the tool and this forum.
    While I find Access 2010 quite intuitive and while there is quite a lot of documentation out there, I came accross a particular problem now for which I cannot find a solution.
    Would anyone be able to help me please?

I am building a web database for my team. The idea is to have a some general information at the top and an order history further down the form.

I used a contact web template and create a second table for the orders. Since its a webform I had to relate these tables in the tables themselves, rather than in the relationships section in "database tools".

I also created the form which sits on top of the order table.
    The next step would be to drag and drop this form as a subform into the master form and that doesnt work.
    I suppose I need to relate the two forms, but dont know how.
    There is no option in the data tab of the property sheet to "link maste fields" or "link child fields" once I click on the tab into which I would like to drag and drop the subform. The properties sheet says: "Selection type: page" once I click the field into which I would like to pull the subform.

Am I not seeing the trees for the wood?

The All Access section on the left contains a number of forms that came with the web template. I could drag and drop all forms that contain a little web icon. My newly createdform, however, does not - not sure if this is relevant.

Any help ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Stefan

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't understand your terminology or your description of what you are trying to do. If you'd like to supply a sample database it would be easier to offer advice, just keep in mind you'll have a larger audience if you use a version of access prior to 2010.

Stefan is offline Novice

Screenshots

thanks for your response.
    I tried to upload an example but constantly get an error. So I took a number of screenshots to help deciphering my problem description :-)
    Unfortunately, I can only use Access 2010 for this task. just hoping that my error is not version specific.
    Cheers
    Stefan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Are you in design view of the tabbed form? It looks like you are in the form view. If you're not in the design view of your MAIN FORM, do the drag and drop in the design view. if that still doesn't work go to the design view of your MAIN form then go to the DESIGN tab of your ribbon bar, in that bar there is a little icon for Subform/Subreport click that, you'll be given a special cursor, then just draw the box on the tab you want the subform to appear and it will take you through a wizard to correctly link it to your main form.

Stefan is offline Novice
    Thanks again,
    There is no Design View for my data base as its a web database. However, you are right, the screenshot was taken while I was in form view and not in layout view. I did, however, try it in Layoutview and this is when it didnt work. (the screenshots in the zip file will give you more information)
    I tried to follow your instuctions but I am getting an error saying: "Unable to insert control. The selected control is not valid in web reports"
    Any other ideas?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sorry I do not have MS access 2010 to mess around with web based databases though it's my understanding that they will not work via sharepoint if they have anything that can not be expressed in macros. In other words you can't use any VB code in your form. Maybe check your subform to see if there's any code attached to it and try to eliminate that and see if you can get the form working. I also do not know if forms/subforms are supported by a 'web' database (I know there's a separate creation wizard for them but I honestly do not know the difference between them not having 2010 available to me).

Stefan is offline Novice

Solved

Hi rprear,

Problem solved.
    It was a silly mistake. Had not noticed that a form in a form doesnt automatically mean a subform :-)

Thanks
    Stefan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.