oakeoffice is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Linking columns to ID number in multiple tables

Okay, I'm not very advanced with Access, for which I apologize.

I am working with a large database of 8,000+ entries. We have five tables in this database, but mainly use three of them. The main table is "OAKE Main Table" which is basically a list of all members our organization has had. Each member has accounting data linked to their member ID number which has been generated by ACCESS, and can be accessed or edited by clicking on a sub table next to each member. The accounting data that has been manually entered in the OAKE Main Table can be found in the Accounting table.

Here's my issue. I need to be able to extract a list of transactions from this accounting table since January 1st. I can do this no problem, but all I get is the member ID and the accounting data. How do I get ACCESS to include the member ID's first and last name? or maybe even the first, last name, address, city, state, zip, etc so that I can get a list of people who have made donations, for example?

I'm assuming this will have something to do with the relationships we have set up in our table. Here's a picture of it. I have no clue how to make this work. Your help is very much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relationships.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	9939

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I presume those foreign key ID fields are not autonumber types. Can't link tables on autonumber type fields. If all these ID fields are the member number then why a chained relationship, link all subtables to the main table. I have doubts this is correctly designed db. If you want to provide for further analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Do a query that joins tables so all related information is available for inclusion in a report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Okay, so I see how we need to get everything linked up to the main ID in the Main Oake Table. But how do I get more fields into my accounting table like first and last name?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Here's a test copy
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Whose last/first name? A main principle of relational database is to not duplicate data. Queries join tables so related info is available (that's why its a relational database). You already show queries in the db.

Why are there records in Accounting table without ID value?

BTW, posted db is 13mb, Compact & Repair reduced it to 8mb.

Advise to avoid spaces, special characters, punctuation (underscore is exception) in names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm not sure about any of this as I've only worked here a month. I just dont want to have to look up each person by their ID to get their name/address. There's got to be a better way

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What is your database about? If you had to tell someone in a line up at McDonalds, what would you tell them?
    I don't understand the relationships between the tables, but I haven't looked too deep.

June7 is online now VIP
    That's why we build queries (with or without table/query joins), forms, reports to facilitate data manipulation.

Review
    http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...earchform.html
    http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Windows XP Access 2007
    Okay, so it sounds like I can do what I'm trying to do with queries. I will look in to this process and get back to you. Thanks for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.