snowboarder234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Placing query data on the form

There's been a request for query results to be placed on the form page. Ie, how many students now are employed in academia? I queried that (with the help of this forum -- thank you very much). Now, the boss wants that query info on the form. In other words, he doesn't want that query in print or e-mail. He wants that on this form below, ie; aggregate data on the form. Is that possible?

Thanks!

P. S. -- if it's not appropriate to place more than one question in a post, let me know. Until then -- here's something else: After placing the database on a shared inhouse server, is it possible to have the form display immediately when opening the software, instead of having to search for the form in the left-hand navigation field?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails search.jpg  

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yes and Yes. First make your recordsource for your form the query instead of a table. If you already have a form that is bound to the table for input, create a second one that shows only the information from the query. Add a search combo box(es), so that you can filter for specific people, programs, etc.

Second, if you click on the file tab in Access, then Options, Current Database. Application Options. Select the Form you want to display. If you wish to hide the navigation pane, then scroll down to the section for navigation pane. Save your changes.

A quick question, if I may: how do I make my record source the query instead of the table? When I place the combo box in the header (according to this tutorial) the only option that I have accessible to me is the table. To complicate matters, the field I want to search (Academic) is a foreign key in the table and thus, the values that are returned are numbers instead of text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails combox.jpg  

Look at this video, but when you have the choice for where to look, choose your query and not the main table.

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...tomfilter.html

Build a new form based upon the query. To start, highlight the query and then choose the form wizard. Then modify the form as necessary. The only combo box on the form would be the search filter.

Thank you for your help. The problem I'm still having now is the foreign key field in the combo box appears as numbers, not text.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combobox2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	9892 Is my only solution to put that field into the main table/query instead of having it in a separate table where that field then becomes a foreign key? I'm trying not to keep everything all in one table and follow the normalization rules as closely as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails combox.jpg  

Where is it appearing. I don't understand. Perhaps you should upload your db with a limited sample of data records. Make sure to create dummy records to preserve confidentiality. Run a compact and repair before you upload.

I'm using Access 2010 -- do you have that version? Most people don't, I've found. I don't want to waste your time uploading something that you cannot open.

I think one thing that's confusing is that I can't delete the first image I uploaded. The second image, the one with the block of text bordered in blue, shows the column that is numbers, when it should be text. The row of numbers should say "Academic, other, personal."

I do have 2010.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.