orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Access 2003 and 2010 on same PC running XP SP3???

Does anyone run both access 2003 and 2010 on the same PC. I'm trying this on XP SP3? Has anyone resolved the Reinstallation/Reconfig process when you go from one version to the other?

This reinstall/reconfig could occur with other versions of Access on same machine. If you have 2 or more versions of Access running on the same PC, please advise If/How you deal with the Reinstall/Reconfig.

It's extremely frustrating.....

I have just found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447 which says

from Microsoft
    Windows Installer messages in Access

On a computer that has multiple versions of Access installed, the Windows Installer may start when you start Microsoft Office Access 2003 or Microsoft Office Access 2007 or Microsoft Office Access 2010. And, a "preparing to install" message or a "configuring" message may be displayed. You receive these messages before Access starts.

The Windows Installer Repair operation registers Access 2003 or Access 2007 every time that you start Access 2003 or Access 2007 after you use Access 2010. Similarly, the Windows Installer Repair operation registers Access 2010 every time that you start Access 2010 after you use an earlier version of Access. Access 2002 does not start a Repair operation after you use a later version of Access. If the version of Access that you start is the same as the version of Access that you previously used, the Windows Installer repair operation does not occur.
    and tells me its just going to happen. However, I have seen other posts that say they have gotten around this constant reinstall/reconfig (permissions/options etc)-- but I have not seen a working solution.

I have added the NoReReg in the Options for Word11 and Word14 --- but my issue is with Access.
    There is NO Options attribute for either Access11 or Access 14????

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Jack;
    I have the same issue with 2007 and 2010. I didn't realize that there existed a workaround. Now that I know that, I will be on the look out for a solution. If I find something, I will post it.

Alan

Here is what Allen Browne has to say on the matter

http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Hi Alan,

Yes I saw the bug-17 and as Allen Browne says - it doesn't solve the reinstall/reconfig issue.

I've been on a few Microsoft Technet and Community sites and I can't find anything that says it isn't suppose to work like that. I did find a post that described the issue with Word 2003 and Word 2010, and the solution was to alter the registry to set up an Option with a NoReReg set to 1. I did that for Word 2003 and Word 2010. I saw someone say to do that for all the programs -- but the catch is There Is No Options attribute for Access.

The best answer I've seen from Microsoft is to set up a Virtual PC and install one of the Office versions there --basically KEEP THEM SEPARATE.

I never had 2010, but thought I should at least be aware of it. I'm quite comfortable with 2003. I find the 2010 UI very strange and not at all intuitive. It bugs me when someone posts an accdb and I can't open it.

I did set up 2 short cuts on my desktop Access_2003 and Access_2010. It doesn't stop the reinstall stuff. If you open one of the Accesses and open that one up next time, you don't get the reinstall. It's when you go from on to the other--very frustrating.

I did see an older post by Bob Larson who says he uses a Virtual PC -- but he has Windows 7 and it has the Virtual PC apparently. I'm running XP on a 10 yr old PC.

Have you worked with Virtual PC?

Keep in touch Alan.

I have not run Virtual PC.

I have Access 2002 on an older XP Desktop. On my laptop which is a WIN7 machine, I have 2007 and 2010. I find that I hardly ever open 2007 anymore. It takes a while to get used to the 2007/2010 UI. I seem to be used to it now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.