kelann is offline Learning ... thank you!!
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

"You can't save this record at this time" error

I am using forms to edit table records.

Often, I get the following error:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	9770

However, it always saves the data.

Do you know why I might be getting it, and is there any way I can avoid this error popping up?

I have a table (OrganizationsT) and an form to edit it (OrgEditF) -- I don't get the message here.

I have a table (ContactsT) and two forms to edit it (ContactsEditFromNameF and ContactsEditFromOrgF) -- I DO get it from each of these.

The difference, as far as I can tell, from the 2 forms is that OrdEditF has only one dropdown/lookup field to locate the organization to edit and then populate the edit form with the current information.

The ContactEditFromNameF has two dropdown/lookup fields -- one by Contact Name and one by Organization.
    > By Name populates the form in the same way that the Organization one does.
    > By Organization closes itself and opens a report to show you all contacts for that org. You press an edit button next to the contact you wish to edit, and it closes itself and opens a different contact edit form.

So, I don't know if that enters into it.

I don't mind it so much for myself, but I don't want other users to encounter it.

Thanks so much!

--ak

June7 is online now VIP
    Sounds like somehow the same record is being edited from two locations. Might need to run SaveRecord method somewhere, just not sure where.

What do you mean 'By Organization closes itself'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, June!

Here's what happens:

1. Person clicks "Edit Contact" button (Command2) from MainMenuF.
    2. A form (ContactsEditFromNameF) pops up. There are 2 combo box dropdowns:

• SearchByContactName - If they use this dropdown, the form populates with the current data of the contact they choose. Whenyou use the save button (or CTRL-S), all is well. When you try to close the dialog with the "x", I get the error above, but it does, in fact, save the changes.
    • SearchByOrganization - If they use this dropdown, the following happens:
      • A report (GetOrgInfoRepEditContact) opens -- this shows all of the contacts for the selected organization, with an "Edit" button beside each one.
      • The form that brought them to this report (ContactsEditFromName) closes.
      • The press the button (ButtonEditContact) beside the contact they wish to edit
        • This opens the form (ContactsEditFromOrgF) so they can edit the contact
        • It also closes the report that contained the button (ContactsEditFromName).
        • Again, CTRL-S and the Save button work fine, but, after editing, when you try to close the form, you get the error message.

3. I thoguht maybe having two dropdowns was causing the problem, so I tried to remove the 2nd combo box so it was just like the OrgEditF that works perfectly, but even that was unsuccessful.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Is ContactsEditFromNameF a bound form? Are the comboboxes bound to fields? If purpose of comboboxes is to input search criteria then the comboboxes should not be bound.

If you still have issues, provide db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The two combo boxes say "Unbound".

The form itself shows a Record Source (ContactsT), but the form that is working without issue also shows a record source (OrganizationsT).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.