zylosan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Setting a table property based on a combo box selection in a form.

I have two tables (Product Type and Testing Set)

Product Type fields are (This is a large legacy table that has a great deal of information to which we want to slightly reconfigure how the information is tracked. It tracks multiple sets of Test Number and Test data, but has been consolidated here for the sake of simplicity.)
    Name
    Density: Test Set #
    Density Data
    Hardness: Test Set #
    Hardness data

Testing Set (This is a new table that keeps a running record of each set of tests run.
    Test Set Number
    Test Type (Density, hardness, etc.)
    Test Results.

I have form Data Entry that previously just had a bunch of Text boxes in which the data for each test type was directly entered by the user. We keep a seperate excel spreed sheet that contained a running list of each test number and its results, which was than manually entered by the lab tech. into the access table Product type. Boss wants 1. all data keep in a single access database, 2. Test Set # added to the data in Product Type. (which is included in the field list above.)

Data Entry form (1 label and 1 text box)
    Density Test Number (combo box)

Density data

What I would like to do is reconfigure the Data Entry form to allow the user to select a test set number from a drop down menu (divided by test type) and than have the program update the contents of density data on the Density data field of Product Type table. (yes this will create redundant data.) I know how to set up the first part to select the Test Set number from Testing Sets. I also am also aware of how to embed a macro on to the OnUpdate event of the combo box. I do not how ever know how to look up a reference entry in the Testing Set table based on the value input to The Density Test Number combo box or how to set the value in the Product Type table once I have successfully looked it up.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Is the combobox multi-column with the TestingSet reference in one? Column index starts with 0 so column 2 would be index 1.

I don't use macros, only VBA which might be simply:

Me!fieldname = Me.comboboxname.Column(x)

Or if the references is in a textbox:
    Me!fieldname = Me.textboxname
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.