lzuke is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

How to include multiple age range categories in table design

Newbie here.
    We are converting a task previously done on spreadsheets, so it's not terribly complex, but I'm stuck.

The 8 different offices in our govt organization all do community events. For each event, the office must report the following:
    --Office where event took place

--Date of event
    --Name of the Event
    --Room event took place in
    --Type of event (children's event, adult event or public use)
    -- AND for each of four AGE RANGES, the number of people who attended the event (Age Ranges are Age0-5, Age6-11, Age12-18, Adults) Our staff just does a head count at the event and enters the four numbers. This is the part that is stumping me!

In my first database attempt I did not try to make a separate table of age ranges, but just listed each Age Range as if it was a completely unique field in the Events Table. It was easy to make my data entry form this way because I WANT all four age ranges to SHOW on the form so staff can just enter the quantities in the proper field. I can make my reports just fine from this set up SO FAR, but I feel that it's not proper database structure to list these age categories separately. But I don't know what table structure to use for this.

Hope I provided complete information.

Rod is offline Expert
    Interesting question! You may get many different opinions.

Strictly, the number of people in an age-range group is a derived value. Similarly the age of a person is derived from that person's birth date. Just to complicate matters further it may occur that the authorities change their age-range groupings in the future. Age ranges are a contrived concept.

Thus the 'correct' (purist) design would be to have a table for individuals with provision for recording birth date, a table for events, a table relating individuals to events, possibly a table for event types, and possibly a table (structure/hierarchy) for locations (offices and rooms). The definition of age ranges and the count of individuals in each range would be achieved through a query.

Obviously from what you describe this is completely 'over the top.' It seems you do not/cannot collect information about each individual. Moreover you do not seem to be interested in any attributes about the individual apart from age-range (not even gender?). Therefore the individual, attendance and event table structure collapses into one table for events with associated age-range counts.

This diatribe is a long-winded way of saying you were right the first time! I think you will gain nothing by creating a separate age-range table. I would encourage you, however, to think about implementing that office - room table hierarchy if: the number of locations is large; the locations do not vary much over time.

So, stick with having age-range columns in your event table where moderators may enter headcounts.

lzuke is offline Novice
    Thanks very much Rod. That's encouraging.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.