Kristina is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Calculated data field on table not showing up on table or reports

I have created a pretty basic database, more or less self taught after an MS Office overview course for MS 2007. There is a field with a "calculated" data type, with the expression put in that adds a couple of other columns in the table together. I am not getting syntax error messages on the expression, but in the table and reports, the calculated data field is blank if I do not populate the columns with a 0 when not applicable.

Can anyone tell me how to get the total to show up when not all columns apply to the equation?

For clarification, my calculated column for "Gross Tuition" is tuition + 5-day room and board + 7-day room and board - tuition adjustments - scholarships......not all records have one or either board or adjustments and/or scholarships. When these fields are blank, the assumption is they are =0. Is this just a syntax issue? If so, please help.
    Thank you.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if that's your expression there are a lot of problems if you're using hyphens (-) in your field names it may be trying to evaulate that as a subtraction rather than a single field so your expression would be something like:

Gross Tuition: [Tuition] + nz([5-day room and board],0) + nz([7-day room and board],0) - nz([tuition adjustments], 0) - nz([scholarships],0)

The NZ function makes any missing value a 0

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Advise not to use spaces or special characters or punctuation (underscore is exception) in names nor reserved words as names.

Better would be 7_Day_Room_and_Board or 7DayRoomAndBoard
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.