GuideRWhite is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Is Access still the way to update SQL Server data?

I'm from the good ole days when Access 97 was the way to access SQL server - and it was fast! If you needed help with your access code, you click the F1 key and would immediately bring up an example code that you could modify and get to work in a few minutes.
    In the 2000s, I converted to Coldfusion as a frontend to access my SQL server. I would use an ADP to access all of my databases. So, I could click on the table (and wait) and eventually see and edit my data. It was slow, but I had a way of updating my data without having to maintain a front end.
    It is my understanding that now that I'm on SQL Server 2008 and Access 2007, the ADP isn't an option any more. So, it is a real pain just to update some data.

I've got a bunch of SQL server databases on shared servers. My database is one of about a hundred databases on a single server - and there's no way for me to know (in my head) which database goes with each server.
    For instance, I've got database x on sqlb32.webcontrolcenter.com and y is on sqlb33.webcontrolcenter.com, etc.

As it is - to make a change, I have to log in to my account to figure out which server my db is on. Then, I go to SQL MGMT Studio and find that server and database. Then, since it won't load the entire table, I have to write a view to return the records.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to update data? Is there a replacement for an ADP?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I am just beginning my foray into SQL Server. I have A2K and SQL Express 2005, soooo......kinda the same but different. I have been using ODBC with just the usual beginner problems (my lack of understanding so far).

I did find this thread that might help you:
    http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...nking-sql.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.