topp is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Loading subform based on combo box

Hey Everyone,

So I've been trying to workout a solution for the past couple of hours and keep coming up short to what I believe should be an easy problem. I have a list of part numbers and each part has a list of processes associated with it and only one list. What I cannot figure out is how I should lay it out so that I can load the correct list for each part number. There are only 4 total lists and each list is different from the other. I cannot figure out how to lay out the tables so that I can call the appropriate list for each part number. Right now I have this table created but I think I have it all set up wrong:
    Part Numbers:
    PartNo | ListID
    1 2
    2 3
    3 3
    4 1
    5 4

Now where I am lost is for the list do I just make one giant table and list each process and then give each process the appropriate ListID as such and then just run a subform that calls a query selecting only those with the appropriate ListID:

Unique | Process | ListID

xxx Jump 2
    xxx Sit 2
    xxx Stand 2
    xxx Jump 1
    xxx Stand 1
    xxx Sit 1
    xxx Crawl 1

Or do I make a separate table for each list and then just load the entire table in a subform:

Unique | Process | ListID Unique | Process | ListID Unique | Process | ListID
    xxx Jump 1 xxx Jump 2 xxx Sit 3
    xxx Stand 1 xxx Sit 2 xxx Jump 3
    xxx Sit 1 xxx Stand 2 xxx Sit 3
    xxx Crawl 1

Sorry if I am all over the place with this post, I just tried to explain what I am trying to do as clearly as possible and in turn probably made it more difficult. If anyone could send me ideas I would be much appreciated. Brain is on overdrive right now. Thank you!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Your first idea is the normalized approach, and the way I'd go. I see a part table, a processes table, and a many-to-many junction table that has fields for part ID, process ID, and perhaps a sequence field. A part with 4 processes would have 4 records in the table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.