NVRensburg is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Simple Inventory Database

Hi Access Fundies

Please please please can someone help me to build this database for my stock inventory. We are currently using bin cards which aren't effective because it takes too long to take the card out and fill in the information. I would like to build a database that runs constantly where we just enter the part number, the date inserts automatically as today's date and time, i enter the company name under the description and the qty in/out and click process. That form will then feed to a transaction table which i can pull up in a report later. I've put an MS Word doc together of what I'm looking for I'd really appreciate the help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There are some existing data models at databaseanswers.org Here is one that may be applicable(in part) to your situation. You may have to adjust for your specific application., but the gist of the model might apply.
    see http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...tail/index.htm

You haven't indicated your experience with Database, nor Access, but I strongly recommend you research Normalization and Entity relationship Diagramming.
    See this site and the first few topics
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic238.html

There are posts on this site that deal with Inventory related questions also. Just search for Inventory database or Inventory Transactions

Good luck with your project.

Hi there, thanks for your response. I work in an Access database daily, but it was programmed for us. I've tried creating my own database but it doesn't go very far If someone could maybe just build me the basic of what I need I'd be very greatful

Windows XP Access 2003

Thanks for that, I downloaded it and had a look, similar to what I'm looking at but I don't know how to modify it If someone could take the time to build me a database based on the informtion I supplied I would be forever in their debt I'm asking SO nicely - even begging - with cherry on top!

Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't think you're going to find anyone to build a database for you. People here will offer advice, answer specific questions, critique an approach, suggest alternatives for consideration, offer a rationale for proposed changes, provide or suggest links to assist with a concept or approach, even provide code or samples of techniques -- but few will offer to build a database.

The links I provided in post #2 are a good start for concepts and design. The database example has a link to Allen Browne's site and the rationale for his Inventory Control and stock taking approach. I think you should read some of the material and work with your issue/opportunity/proposed database and these concepts to build something and show your intent and effort. Then, post specific questions and seek answers. If you don't want to build it yourself and learn database concepts and design with the assistance of people here, then you could find a local developer who could build it for you according to your specifications.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.