kaboom786 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question on creating ACCESS database for shipping and inventory

Hello,

I'm fairly new to ACCESS and have been going through some online tutorial for some days. I have a small company that produces some stock parts for window frames. We have our database on excel and i was thinking of porting it over to ACCESS.
    I want to give a quick run down of how things basically work. We have a about 5 jobs that we work on throughout this season. Job 1,2,3,4 and 5. For each particular job there are a number of different parts required A - Z , no two or more jobs share the same part. All parts are completely unique to each job.
    What i want is to create a form each time a packing slip is created with a job number and the respective parts ready to be shipped out. I was trying to fiddle around with with the design view where if i can click on "job field" it would drop down a list for me to chose which job i would like to enter. And if chose job 1, then i would like the " parts " field to be able to filter or show a drop down menu of parts list that only belong to job 1.

We're already given a total quantiy of each part required for a job. On the packing slip form i want the quantity entered to be subtracted from the qty required for that job. I know it's not complicated but i came to a halt when trying to figure out how to relate forms and tables and automatcally have fields populate and subtract from inventory quantities.

If someone can briefly guide me on how to achieve this type of database i would really really appreciate it.

Thank you.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You want dependent comboboxes. Review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...combobox2.html

Saving calculated data that is dependent on other data is risky - data can get 'out of sync'. You might explore the Inventory database template provided by Access.

Before even thinking about forms and reports, need to get data structure correct. Have you done that? Want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Review http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...es-208217.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.