lcv99 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Import data from PLC to MS Access database

Hi I am trying to add more data points to an existing system that is importing data from Rockwell PLC Rslogix5000 to Microsoft Access Database, but I could not find out what type of communication link between the MS Access Database and the PLC. Could anyone tell me how to find that?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'existing system that is importing data from Rockwell PLC Rslogix5000 to Microsoft Access Database' - there is already a functioning procedure? What is that procedure?

Maybe ODBC?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lcv99 is offline Novice
    Hi June7, It is a computer running with windows XP service pack3. The MS Access version 2003 is running in this computer. The computer and PLC are communicating via ethernect. Data from PLC is importing to the access database in this computer. I checked in the computer and found no RsLinx OPC or DDE configured for the PLC and MS Databass. I also found no any micro file created in the existing MS access.mdb file. I can open and add new data points "TagName" and "Tagdescription" to the existing MS Access Databass.mdb file, but still question if I can replace the existing running .mdb file with the one that I had modified. I have very limited knowlege about MS Acess and Visual Basic. Any more suggestion would be very appreciated. Thanks,

June7 is online now VIP
    Went over my head. I have no idea what RsLinx OPC or DDE are nor what you mean by 'micro file'. My only experience with another db is Oracle and only to establish links to Oracle backend. This is facilitated by setting up a profile in Windows ODBC Data Sources Administrator.

If Access does not have a table link to PLC db then that leaves VBA code as method to make connection.

What do you mean you want to replace .mdb with modified db? You didn't just edit working db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lcv99 is offline Novice
    Yes, I can edit the existing file .mdb in the running computer, but just concern I might crash the communication. I have very limited knowledge about microsoft access database so I am not sure if I can edit the access database file (.mdb) in the access database running computer, then start the Ms access database again. I think that the system is already configured and running, so if I only add more new data points to the database table it will not effect the communication, but I am not sure, any idea?

June7 is online now VIP
    Is this a multi-user db?

I don't know any reason not to edit the mdb when no one is using it. But then I don't know everything. As I said I have limited experience working with other db backends.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.