heathers is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Creating Form from Normalized Tables

Help please! I think I am really really dumb, but I can't figure out how to do this. And even if I wanted to just use a flat file, I cannot because there are too many columns! And every time I do a search on Form and Normalized, I just get instructions on how to normalize my tables and not how to create the actual Form!!!

I have three tables

• tblRespondents (information abt the respondents, name address etc)
    • tblQuestions (question ID, question number, text)
    • tblReponseOptions (yes/no; multi select lists etc)
      • they've all got PK and FK etc...

My questions are:

• I can't seem to use the form Wizard using the Questions table, because it only gives me one field; multiple fields shows all the questions, but then when I edit the field, for say, Question 1a; it changes ALL of them.
    • How do I link the question answer to the Response Options?
    • And if response options are, eg. either Yes/No/Missing; do I need to put these options in the ResponseOptions table or can I just type them into a Lookup field?
    • Where is the data actually stored? Does doing my database this way mean that every field is a Query?
    • Do I have to make another table for Responses and how do I get Access to input the data from the form to populate this? I can't seem to get my head around the normalized structure (can you guess that I am much more used to Excel & SPSS)
    • And finally, given that some data comes in Excel, some I have to input manually, and I will be analysing the final dataset in SPSS, should I even bother putting it into Access in the first place?

Any help (of the extremely simple variety, haha) much appreciated.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Heather, Think we have met on AWP. Try not think with your Excel hat on. Firstly your form will be collecting data about your survey. To make things more clearly I have attached a a doc that has screen shots of a survey application that I created a while ago. This will give you a flavour of how to approach your forms.

This one is quite extensive but covers all possible question types.

David

heathers is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

thanks

you're right (re AWP) - as you can tell, I'm still confused - even about which forum I'm on... Will read your document tonight! Thanks so much for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.