ddrew is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Looping

How do I loop through all the records in a query to check if conditions are met

please. This is the code that I have right now, it checks to see if there are
    any records in the query and then I need it to check to see that
    Me.AnalystAttended is not an empty field and I need it to do that for each of
    the records.

I would really appreciate some
    help on this, I know I need to do a loop, I've read some posts on looping but I
    cant get my head around it. Thanks
    Code:
    Private Sub Command203_Click()

Dim OpenRecordCheck As Integer

OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", "[Fault_Rectified] = False")
            If OpenRecordCheck > 0 Then
                If IsNull(Me.AnalystAttended) Then
                 MsgBox "You must first select an Analyst", vbOKOnly
                Next
            Else
             MsgBox (OpenRecordCheck)
             End If
    End Sub

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

You need to use VBA to put the query results into a recordset, then loop through the records.

Your code would look something like this:

Dim db as Database, rst as RecordSet, SQL as string
    set db = currentdb
    SQL = "Select * from [Technical_Incident _Report Query] Where [Fault_Rectified] = False"
    set rst = db.openrecordset(SQL)
    while not rst.EOF
    if isnull(rst!AnalystAttended) then
    ' Do something
    endif
    rst.movenext
    wend

rst.close
    set db=nothing

You could also just use DCount to see if there are any offending records, and give a message:

OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", "[Fault_Rectified] = False AND isnull(AnalystAttended)")
    MsgBox "There are " & OpenRecordCheck & " records without an analyst.", vbOKOnly
    End If

Your current code above is in the On Click event of a form button; what is the code behind the button supposed to do?

John

ddrew is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

You need to use VBA to put the query results into a recordset, then loop through the records.

set db = currentdb
    SQL = "Select * from [Technical_Incident _Report Query] Where [Fault_Rectified] = False"
    while not rst.EOF
    ' Do something
    endif
    rst.movenext
    wend

rst.close
    set db=nothing

You could also just use DCount to see if there are any offending records, and give a message:

OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", "[Fault_Rectified] = False AND isnull(AnalystAttended)")
    MsgBox "There are " & OpenRecordCheck & " records without an analyst.", vbOKOnly
    End If

Your current code above is in the On Click event of a form button; what is the code behind the button supposed to do?

John
    Hi John,
    thanks for your reply, the button that its currently on is there just to allow me to make this small part of the process work. The button that it will finally be attached to is an 'Export' button where all the records get exported into a spreadsheet (this already works) but sometimes the guys at work leave some of the records unfinished so this will check the records prior to that. The form that the records are on is fed by a query 'echnical_Incident _Report Query'. I think your idea with the message box will fulfill this so I will give it a go tomorrow at work. I will let you know.

Many thanks

ddrew is offline Novice
    Hi -

set db = currentdb
    while not rst.EOF
    ' Do something
    endif
    rst.movenext
    wend

rst.close
    set db=nothing

End If

John
    Hi John, I used the code this morning
    Code:
        End If
    And it works great but it needs more development as I have other criteria that needs to be met (three other fields).

What it needs to say is:
    If the fields 'AnalystAttended' and 'CLS_Attended_At' or if 'Fault' or 'Soloution' are Null then (Message)

'AnalystAttended' and 'CLS_Attended_At' can either both be filled in or either one of them, whereas 'Fault' and 'Soloution' must both be filled in.

I'm not sure how to work this into the code that you wrote. Thanks

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi John, I used the code this morning
    Code:

OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", "[Fault_Rectified] = False AND isnull(AnalystAttended)") If OpenRecordCheck > 0 Then MsgBox "There are " & OpenRecordCheck & " records without an analyst.", vbOKOnly End If
    And it works great but it needs more development as I have other criteria that needs to be met (three other fields).

What it needs to say is:
    If the fields 'AnalystAttended' and 'CLS_Attended_At' or if 'Fault' or 'Soloution' are Null then (Message)

'AnalystAttended' and 'CLS_Attended_At' can either both be filled in or either one of them, whereas 'Fault' and 'Soloution' must both be filled in.

I'm not sure how to work this into the code that you wrote. Thanks

Assuming you want to cycle through [Technical_Incident_report_Query] you would have this:

Code:
    dim db as database
    dim rst as recordset
    dim sAnalyst
    dim sCLS
    dim sFault
    dim sSolution

set db = currentdb

OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", "[Fault_Rectified] = False AND isnull(AnalystAttended)")     If OpenRecordCheck > 0 Then         
         set rst = db.openrecordset ("Technical_Incident_Report_Query")
         rst.movefirst
         do while rst.eof <> true
             sAnalyst = rst.fields("AnalystAttended")
             sCLS = rst.fields("CLS_Attended_At")
             sFault = rst.fields("Fault")
             sSolution = rst.fields("solution")

'perform whatever checks you want with the variables you mentioned    
            if not isnull(sanalyst) or not isnull(scls) then
                'is this where you find a 'positive' result?
            elseif not isnull(sfault) and not isnull(ssolution) then
               'is this where you find a 'failing' result?
            else
               'you have to provide for the possibility of fault or solution being null while the other is filled in
               'you have to provide for the possibility that neither analyst or cls is filled in AND neither fault or solution is filled in either and so on
            endif
            rst.movenext
        loop
    End If

set db = nothing

ddrew is offline Novice
    Hi thanks for the reply, think I may have confuse you! Of the fours boxes, Fault and Soloution must be filled in, AnalystAttended OR CLS_Attended_At (or both of them) to be filled in. Hope that makes sense.

Its basically checking to make sure these criteria have been met and if they havent then a message is displayed.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Right, I gave you the method of extracting the variables, how you test them is up to you

to test for null it's

isnull(variablename)

to test for non null it's

not isnull(variablename)

Just nest your IF statements any way you want to select the data

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

Assuming all you want to do at first is to see if there are any records that fail the crtiteria, then you can modify the DCount to include the other conditions:

dim WhereClause as String
    WhereClause = "not([Fault_Rectified] AND [Soloution]) OR not (AnalystAttended'or 'LS_Attended_At)"
    OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", WhereClause)
    MsgBox "There are " & OpenRecordCheck & " records that are missing required data.", vbOKOnly
    End If

(I'm not sure I have the field names right.)

I'm also assuming that all your criteria fields are Boolean (Yes/No or T/F); if this is not the case, then you'll need to use isNull(...) for those fields, but the basic structure of the Criteria string will be the same.

Note that this will tell you only that there are records that fail the criteria; it doesn't tell you which ones they are. If you want to see and edit those records, then you can requery your form using the same where clause as a filter.

John
    Last edited by John_G; 10-07-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Correct the syntax in WhereClause

ddrew is offline Novice
    dim WhereClause as String
    WhereClause = "not([Fault_Rectified] AND [Soloution]) OR not (AnalystAttended'or 'LS_Attended_At)"
    OpenRecordCheck = DCount("[ExID]", "[Technical_Incident _Report Query]", WhereClause)
    MsgBox "There are " & OpenRecordCheck & " records that are missing required data.", vbOKOnly
    End
    Hi John, thanks for your reply, this is helpful. The fields are in fact text and combo boxes. I had to modify the code a little but it certainley put me in the right direction, so many thanks for that. I have posted the modified code below.
    Code:
        Dim WhereClause As String
        WhereClause = "isNull([CLS_Attended_At]) AND isNull ([AnalystAttended]) OR isNull ([Fault]) or isNull([Soloution])"
        End If

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.