Msaccessuser is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Merging Two Databases with over 200 tables

Hi, there, I'm having a really hard time with this
    and been searching the internet for some time for a solution, but my problem is
    kind of unique, so I hope you can help!

I have two databases needing to
    be merged into one. Sounds simple, but there are over 200 tables that have the
    same structure and name but unique data in those tables.

Obviously, I've
    gotten as far as importing the tables into one of the databases, but the tables
    that are imported in are automatically renamed with a "1" at the end of the
    table. (EX: Table1)

I've read suggestions about doing a UNION Query and
    have tried the following:
    SELECT *

FROM Table
    UNION SELECT *
    FROM
    Table1;

This UNION query does "work" per se, but it doesn't create a new
    table to replace the old ones, and it doesn't keep the relationships that the
    old tables have.

From that UNION query, I tried exporting it into Excel
    and re-Importing it back in Access as a Table, but like I said, relationships
    are not kept. And as you can imagine, creating relationships for over 200 tables
    took a long time...

So what I need is a way to merge the two tables into
    one table while keeping the relationship to the master table in tact.

Or
    any other ideas about merging these two databases would be
    helpful.

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You are using Autonumber as primary key fields?

You have a major nightmare on your hands.

It can be done but will be tedious.

See if this helps http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...-Databases.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you June7 for your reply to my post.
    The primary key fields are actually text, not Autonumber... does that make a huge difference in your suggestion? Or am I still faced with the same nightmare?

June7 is online now VIP
    Maybe worse. Depends if there is possibility of primary keys duplicated between the two db's. If there is NO POSSIBILITY of duplicate unique IDs, then should be very simple to just import the records. This is the design I use for a project that requires merging of data from database maintainted at a remote location.

An empty database is provided to project manager to enter data about that single project. The project identifier is key. Manager submits file at end of season, records are imported to the 'master' db. I do have code that verifies the project isn't already in the 'master'. Of course, doesn't involve 200 tables, only 4.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

This might not be so daunting as it may seem. If your 200 or so tables have the same name and same fields in the two databases, you can write VBA loop to create append queries from one table to another. Below is a little test sub I wrote - it uses make-table queries, and I stopped it at 5 interations but it runs fine, and creates 5 xxxtablename tables.

Code:
    Sub listtables()
      Dim SQL As String
      Dim tbl As TableDef, TableName As String, P1 As Integer
      Dim OtherDB As Database, OtherPath As String

OtherPath = "C:\MSA_DAT\stamps.mdb"
      Set OtherDB = OpenDatabase(OtherPath)
      P1 = 0
      For Each tbl In OtherDB.TableDefs
        P1 = P1 + 1
        TableName = tbl.Name
        SQL = "Select * into [xxx" & TableName & "] from C:\MSA_DAT\stamps.[" & TableName & "]"
        Debug.Print SQL
        CurrentDb.Execute SQL, dbFailOnError
        If P1 = 5 Then Exit Sub
      Next
    End Sub
    You would have to use an Insert SQL statement of course. Note that the For Each... loop includes system tables (MSys...), so you would need to deal with that and any other tables that you don't want to transfer. Also, as June7 has pointed out, you will have to be sure that the append won't create any Index or PK errors.
    I have used the square brackets [] to allow for spaces in table names.

Other than that, it should work - but PLEASE make a back up first!!!

John

Hi, John,

Thank you so much for replying to my post! I would like to try to use this code in my practice Database that I'm using to merge the tables. Hopefully, I don't sound too ignorant, but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with complicated code, so I'm having a hard-time figuring out where to insert my information into the code. I know to put my table names in the brackets, but other than that is there anything that I need to change to make it work for my Databases?

Thank you again for your response!

June7 is online now VIP
    The code is dynamically generic for use in any database. It assumes tablenames are the same in the dbs to be merged. The procedure will loop through the tables collection and execute on every table (if you remove the 5 iterations limit). You don't need to specify your tables. The issue might be that the code will execute on ALL tables, even those you might not want it to and possibly even system tables. The procedure could be modified to prompt for confirmation that the append should proceed. Means babysitting the procedure until done. No idea how long that would be - 10, 30, 60, 200 minutes?:

TableName = tbl.Name
    If MsgBox("Merge table " & TableName & "?", vbOkCancel) = vbOk Then
    CurrentDb.Execute "SELECT * INTO [xxx" & TableName & "] FROM C:\MSA_DAT\stamps.[" & TableName & "]", dbFailOnError
    End If

This procedure alone will not maintain integrity of autonumber pk/fk relationship nor handle the possibility of duplicate pk values. You will have to 'prep' the tables first if those circumstances exist.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.