swavemeisterg is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Input form that disallows data entry under certain conditions

My problem is fairly convoluted, but hopefully I can explain it.

Basically, I have an input form created in which employees input actions taken on specimens. One such action is material removal. So multiple actions can occur on the same serial numbered specimen.

Ideally I would like to place limits on how much material can be removed from a specific specimen.

So my perfect scenario would go like this:

1. User inputs specimen serial number into specimen table. (I know how to do this)
    a. User also places constraints on the specimen. So the user decides that the specimen may only be allowed 1.3 microinches to be removed. (iffy on this)
    2. Another user inputs an action into the action table, for example: grinding, on that specimen, but only removes .7 microinches. That get's recorded under the specimen's data field as well as a new action.
    3. Another use tries to input a grind that brings it over 1.3 microinches, and a dialogue appears telling them that the grind would take too much off.

Hopefully that made some sense. Feel free to glean any other info you can from me. I'm fairly new to Access, so try not to blow me away if possible.

Thanks in advance!

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

First question is - do you have a separate Specimen_Action table, which records all the separate actions taken on each specimen? If not, you should, because the relationship between Specimens and Actions is one-to-many.

Then, when you create (input) the specimen record you could have a field indicating the maximum amount that can be removed.

When another user wants to remove more, the amount previously removed can easily be calculated from the existing Actions records for that specimen, and the warning message given if necessary.

HTH

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.