thclegg is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Merging two identicle Databases

Hi,

I'm helping some friends who own a book shoppe. They have closed up both their retail stores and are working on line only. A long time ago they bought a PC based program to keep their inventory and manage their on line sales. The program is called BookTrakker and still on sale today.

I called them to ask for assistance merging the access databases for but stores with their Master database. The owner sads they dont offer any assistance in combining databases.

So I said i'd tackle it myself.

I have had no trouble using the append command to combine the 40 odd tables in the database except for one small table called Keywords. This table only has 5 fields but the sallest has over 7,000 rows. This is one of the more important tables because Keywords are used by the search engins on-line to help potential buyers find their interests.

The error message I get from Access is "Microsoft Outlook Access set 0 field(s) to nulll due to a type conversation failure, and it didn't add (number of rows in table) to the table due to key violations, 0 records due to lock violations, and 0 records due to validatoin rule violations"

The table structure is identical. The only difference is the data in the rows.

I tried removing both Primary Keys for both the tables (in and out). Nothing, same error message.
    Next I tried appending the tables without the entire Keyword_id (Primary Key) field. Nothing same error message.

I'm out of ideas, so could someone help?

Thanks,
    Tom

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You need to look at more than the PK of the tables. If you look at the indexes on the tables, you will see that there is one or more that have Unique set to Yes, and it is one of those that is causing the error. Primary keys are unique by definition, but other fields can have unique indexes as well.

You can resolve the difficulty by removing the Unique requirement, but before doing that, analyze the data to determine what data is in that table field, and why it is supposed to be unique.

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.