KilpAr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

ADP-files - how queries etc. are imported?

I was shown at work an adp-file, which is in 2002-2003 format, i'm using this with Access 2010. The size of the file is about 81 kilobytes, but it has tens of thousands of records inside. It dynamically receives queries from SQL Server (or at least my supervisor said that he never creates new queries into Access, still it gets them as they are in SQL server) and I can't see for example VBA code inside the adp-file. I'm supposed to fix this program, but to begin with, I would need to find where exactly the logic is that imports the queries etc. Saved imports has nothing. VBA Project has nothing. There's no macros.

So shortly: Where is the logic in adp-files?

GeekInOhio is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    ADP's aren't really that different from a normal Access project. You have forms, and if required, VBA, etc. The difference is that instead of storing the database itself in an MDB, the data is stored in a SQL database. Based on what you've described, it sounds like the forms are bound to the database, and all logic for what is shown, selected, etc. is held there. Open up a form that you use to interact with data and put it in Design view. Viewing the Record Source of the form will show you where it is pulling it's data from. This could be a simple link to a SQL table, a SQL query, or it could be bound to a SQL View or SQL Stored Procedure.

Regardless, based on the limited info you provided, it sounds like you're going to need access to the SQL Server in order to make your changes.

Edit For Clarity: You mentioned the file size vs the records it is supposed to hold. Just to be clear, by design ADP/ADE files are split design. Access is the front end, and the SQL server is the back end. Records are not stored in the ADP.

KilpAr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This clarity edit solved it. The thing I finally needed was in File->Server->Connection

Thanks for the reply!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.