Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jloyzaga is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

I have a report and don't know how to change the printer it goes to.

its a db of 28 mb and I dont know how to maintain it or debug it so I can't modify the printer for any of the reports. How can i do this? I could attach the db but 28mb is a bit big....

Joe

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How are the reports run - button click on a form to open report? Do the reports go directly to printer or open on screen?

To attach db, follow instructions at bottom of my post. Or can upload to a fileshare site such as box.com and post link to the file.

If you have to manage a db that has code behind it, you need to learn programming. Review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341717.aspx
    Also, review the link on debugging techniques at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    yes push button on form. its the one next to excel image on the test suites form on the db in box.com link below. I think it goes straight to printer (pdf995) which is a virtual printer and I don't know what happens as it crashed the db each time I try and run it. there is the forms db and then another one (I'm not an access person - I am an automated tester and know vbs but I don't know how to navigate in access well enough to know what to change and how to debug it...) which db shall I link to? anyway I think I did the link correct

http://www.mediafire.com/?q1vacamdabfeuss

http://www.mediafire.com/?4a2r2yjayry0dm5

June7 is offline VIP
    Well, those links aren't box.com but they did work.

The db won't open normally for me, it errors. I opened the db by holding the shift key down to override automatic project settings. This allowed me to relink the tables but some tables (all the tables with 'log' in their names) where not found in the backend you provided. There are two tables in the backend that are actually links to another db in a workgroup folder. Workgroups are something I've never done.

I think 'test suites form' is frmNewTestCases. I examined this form in design view. I find a tree control (something I've never used) and several subforms. Controls on subforms have error 'No such field in field list'.

I was able to look at the VBA code. All code to open reports opens to the screen. However, it uses a parameter of acPreview. I guess that is correct syntax for Access2000 but now the code would be acViewPreview. Otherwise, code looks good and I can't see cause for any report open error.

This is a fairly complex db. Doubt I can do more for you and probably before anyone else here can help you, you need to learn some basics. I suggest you sit down with an introductory book and learn about database principles and Access. You really need to talk to whoever built this.

What is an 'automated tester'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Well, those links aren't box.com but they did work.

The db won't open normally for me, it errors. I opened the db by holding the shift key down to override automatic project settings. This allowed me to relink the tables but some tables (all the tables with 'log' in their names) where not found in the backend you provided. There are two tables in the backend that are actually links to another db in a workgroup folder. Workgroups are something I've never done.

I think 'test suites form' is frmNewTestCases. I examined this form in design view. I find a tree control (something I've never used) and several subforms. Controls on subforms have error 'No such field in field list'.

I was able to look at the VBA code. All code to open reports opens to the screen. However, it uses a parameter of acPreview. I guess that is correct syntax for Access2000 but now the code would be acViewPreview. Otherwise, code looks good and I can't see cause for any report open error.

This is a fairly complex db. Doubt I can do more for you and probably before anyone else here can help you, you need to learn some basics. I suggest you sit down with an introductory book and learn about database principles and Access. You really need to talk to whoever built this.

What is an 'automated tester'?
    I automate manual tests to speed up regression tests. I am trying to get those reports working and can never see the output from the reports could you clarify that reports were produced? Don't know what you mean acViewPreview or where to look for it in the code - what book would you suggest?

June7 is offline VIP
    I expect any introductory book will get you started. Go to Amazon, buy an assortment of used. I did that when I was learning VB6, some old ones as low as $1, bought 4 books for $15

I can't clarify anything because can't get the db to run properly. Too many errors as already described. As for the acPreview, yes, you need to learn VBA. Hold down shift key when opening db. Then you can explore the db without restriction. Open the VBA Editor and do Find on 'acPreview'. I never used Access2000 so not sure where you will find Open VBA Editor on the menu.

"I automate manual tests to speed up regression tests." just triggers more questions - LOL.

Windows XP Access 2000
    hold down shift key when opening the db - not the forms one?

testing automation is running the test using a program. you automate by running the keystrokes again programmatically using a tool. This makes running a regression suite very fast and removes the boring bits for testers.The db I'm trying to use has all the data and scripts and reports needed to do this but the previous guy (who wrote it) did not document it and is not contactable. I'm trying to get this thing working and kinda can use it but cannot figure out about the reporting - you might need the ini files though
    this one points to the db called Autofwk.ini
    contents
    [AutoFwk]
    live_location = D:\AutoTest Local
    data_db = fwkTests\Test Database\Data\Autotest.mdb
    forms_db = fwkTests\Test Database\Autotest_forms_indev.mdb
    results_db = fwkRes\Autoresults.mdb

June7 is offline VIP
    Hold shift key when opening the frontend (the 'forms' one).

INI files?!?! - over my head.

You just might have to contract a professional Access programmer to come on-site and figure this out.

Windows XP Access 2000
    don't understand the bit about acPreview
    would you know a pro access programmer (please?)

June7 is offline VIP
    Were you able to open the VBA editor? The editor has a Find/Replace tool. Search for 'acPreview'.

No, I don't know any and even if I did, I don't know where you are anyway.

Windows XP Access 2000
    No I dont have a version of access 2000 and Im in sydney

June7 is offline VIP
    You show Access 2000 in your member profile. If you don't have Access 2000, what do you have?

Did you get the VBA editor to open?

Windows XP Access 2000
    run time 2000

June7 is offline VIP
    So none of the suggestions offered are meaningful. You can't modify Access file unless you actually have the Access developer version that comes with Microsoft Office Suite. I don't know if Access can be purchased separately.

Windows XP Access 2000
    thats why I'm so frustrated - I'm pretty sure the underlying sql statements to get a collection required for the report is coming up empty but I can't check anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.