Johnno is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Access 2007 Saving File

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has same problem as I do and if there is a fix or trick? Access 2007 Esc and Undo together are nice to recover accidentally deleted data. My problem is that while I'm typing and accidentally delete data somehow that the Esc and Undo work against me by recovering back to some previous point in my work and not allowing me to recover what Access thinks is helping. To me Microsoft has it backwards... I have to Save the File, then make a change, then undo it, then save it again... before the Esc and Undo cannot lose my work for me. They should have REVERSED this process and made recovery take 4-5 steps not saving (which I do when entering technical & difficult data about every 60 seconds.
    The other problem is every time I save data (large text fields) the cursor goes to the top of the field and I find only Top or Bottom choices available. The amount of time I spend saving (for sure) and getting back to where I was takes nearly as long as the data I enter between each save : ( is anyone else having this problem?

So what I'm asking is a way to save the Access file without Esc or Undo messing it up, and how to get the cursor back where it was at the time of the save. I'm guessing a macro may do it but I'm not familiar with the vb code stuff people talk about.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Johnno

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't understand what you are describing. How does ESC key cause a file to be rolled back to a previous version? AFAIK, ESC only reverses edits done to the current record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Johnno is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Reply was fast, thank you. What is happening is Esc undoes what I just typed in and doesn't let me 'undo' the esc. You might wonder then what is my problem? Example: Usually what happens is I spend about 5 minutes typing in data, I then save it and type in another 5 minutes and then something happens (somehow it seems I accidentally hit a key like one of the Alt_anything stuff? I'm not sure... anyway) that highlights a bunch of text and deletes it. Now I'd expect by hitting Undo or Esc I'd recover data between 6-10 minutes but what is happening is the Undo is grayed out so I hit Esc (doesn't matter anymore, because) then it deletes the data between minutes 1-5 and does NOT offer any way back. Esc if now empty and Undo already was. And there is no Redo to not only put 6-10 back, but 1-5 which by-the-way I 'SAVED' so the Esc is taking away SAVED data.
    The ONLY way I've found not to lose my saved data is a cumbersome process I'm asking for a shortcut on. My process I know of is 1(save the file) 2(add a character to the file anywhere) then 3(undo the character just entered [this grays out the undo...) then 4(save the file again) NOW if I hit Esc it returns to the original first save by undoing that I added a character then deleted it... THAT is what it undoes. But without this WHOLE process it undoes my work. It seems to me that so save a file/record whatever you call it so its data can't be lost would be priority over recovery (I bet most people save their work hundreds of times more than they have to recover it... I hope.)
    The other very annoying and wasteful consequence is that every time I save the file, the cursor starts back at the top of the Text (field) I want it in the text field... that is ok, but when I'm working on large data entrys sometimes where the cursor needs to be is between two paragraphs 250 lines down in the field. It can be very hard to even recognize where I was after that much time away and if that wasnt bad enough... when I'm entering ideas from scratch... the distractions of all this make me lose my ideas, sometimes forever, and every time very stressful. Seems to me the process of saving & securing has a back seat to undoing something even while the undo has no redo it becomes more detrimental to my data loss than anything. I have lost far more data from this procedure of Access than I know how to on my own.
    Sorry if this is long, I'm trying to make it short as possible.
    Thanks,
    Johnno

Johnno is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Saving Data (for sure) in Access 2007

Well thanks for your help but file hard drive recovery processing is 2 more steps in the wrong direction (the cost of the software) and (like searching for a virus, would definitely kill the whole purpose) of trying to eliminate 30 seconds of mental disruption maybe 60 seconds of physical interference. If I spend 2 minutes of every 10 minutes = 12 minutes an hour = 1.5 hours per day I lose (7.5 hrs in a week that's like working a whole Saturday for free) no thanks. I have many file recovery apps... all of which take applicably too long for such implementation (maybe if lost a file once a week or month, but absolutely no once every 10 minutes...) I'm not sure you understand my problem, it's my fault for not being able to explain it maybe in a way other people understand.
    Thank you though...
    Johnno

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has same problem as I do and if there is a fix or trick? Access 2007 Esc and Undo together are nice to recover accidentally deleted data. My problem is that while I'm typing and accidentally delete data somehow that the Esc and Undo work against me by recovering back to some previous point in my work and not allowing me to recover what Access thinks is helping. To me Microsoft has it backwards... I have to Save the File, then make a change, then undo it, then save it again... before the Esc and Undo cannot lose my work for me. They should have REVERSED this process and made recovery take 4-5 steps not saving (which I do when entering technical & difficult data about every 60 seconds.
    The other problem is every time I save data (large text fields) the cursor goes to the top of the field and I find only Top or Bottom choices available. The amount of time I spend saving (for sure) and getting back to where I was takes nearly as long as the data I enter between each save : ( is anyone else having this problem?

So what I'm asking is a way to save the Access file without Esc or Undo messing it up, and how to get the cursor back where it was at the time of the save. I'm guessing a macro may do it but I'm not familiar with the vb code stuff people talk about.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Johnno

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think I have ever experienced anything like you describe and can't replicate the behavior. What you do you mean by 'save' - how are you saving the data, code or ribbon button?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.