itm is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question What to do when people have different operating systems, but one app?

Hi,
    I have an MS Access 2007 (32 Bit) application sitting on a share. The problemis that some of the users are getting Windows 7 (64 bit) machines and othersstill have XP machines. When I try to open it on the Windows 7 machines the apperrors out. I think if I remember right I get a type mismatch message, I foundthat I have to change some of the references and it then works. Particularlythe ADO I have to change to a higher one, but then naturally it does not workfor the people on XP machines; and both have to be able to go in here to viewand update data.

So, I was wondering what I can do so that it works for everyone?

Thank you
    itm

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Split the database into a Front End and Back End. You can actually have multiple front-ends tying back to the same back end. So you can have different versions of the front-ends for the different environments. Typically, you distribute the front-end to each user, so they each have their own copy of the front-end that they run. This also greatly helps prevent database errors and corruption.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help.
    Just to be sure though, when you say front end back end, you are saying to compile it in one format and create a ACCDE, and compile it in another ACCDE and give the users the different ACCDE's accordingly?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No, not quite. Splitting it means that all data tables are located in a central database located somewhere on the network (back-end). The front-end contains all queries, forms, reports, and VBA code. All the tables are links to the tables on the back-end database. If you look at Access's built-in help files, there are instructions on how to split your database (it will do most of it for you).

However, even though it is not part of the front-end/back-end split, you will also want to do what you mentioned, creating compiled versions of your different front-ends to distribute to the users.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Okay, I can see what you are saying, that sounds great.
    Thank you
    itm

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.