ginachicclett is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access database design to check assets in and out

I am working on fixing an existing database to keep track of assets, students, owners, classes, and instructors. The method I have been using to try to check items in and out is not working. I am attempting to use a form with space for different assets and their ID numbers to be entered. The major problem I am facing is I am not sure if the database is even designed correctly to do this. I have 5 different types of assets, each put into their own table. This was done because not all of the assets require the same fields. I want to allow students to check in and out different types of equipment. All of the sample databases I have seen only use one asset table since they all have the same fields. Can I even use multiple tables to keep track of the different types of assets and still be able to check them in and out or do I need to have all of my assets in one table? Please help, I'm lost.
    Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I do think you will need a 'master' assets table. Then dependent child tables for the varied assets (1 to 1 relation). How different is the information? Alternative is a big 'flat' file that has all the fields. This is not strictly 'normalized' data because will result in a lot of empty space. It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There is a free data model for IT assets at
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...sets/index.htm

It may give you some ideas. I think you should sort out the entities you'll deal with and normalize your structure, then
    post any questions and see if there are options and get some feedback before getting too far into "programming".

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.