Alsail77 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Criteria based on user input

I am very new to access so please forgive me if this is an obvious fix.

I have a query which searches the database for records and outputs all matches to a continuous form. On Form "Main" there are 2 text boxes where the user can enter the name and the address and run the search. This works.

I added 2 more boxes to limit the search to a date range, DateMin and DateMax. This checks the "NextMaturity" field which is a calculated field which is equal to the earlier of two date fields. I got this to work with the below text as a criteria of the "NextMaturity" field in the query:

Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx]

The problem is the dates are not, and can not, be required and can have null values. Since the user will not always need to limit the search by a date I added a check box on the Form "Main", "Check40". When checked I want the query to include the date as a criteria, when not checked I do not want the date considered. I tried writing and IIF statment along the lines of IIF([Forms]![Main].[Check40]=true, Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx]) (as well as several variations) but this caused no records to ever be returned.

If this is possible and anyone can help it would be appreciated

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000

Ssanfu - I looked at the link you provided but am at a loss as to how to carry that over to what I need to do. Essentially, if the checkbox at [Forms]![Main]![check40] = true (is checked), I want Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx] to be the criteria. If [Forms]![Main]![check40] = false (not checked), I do not want there to be any criteria filter for this field.

I think I fixed my own problem but am confused. I went into the SQL view and added the code in red below. This appears to work but I know nothing about SQL. In the design view a new column was created with the red text as the Field and <>False as a Criteria. Does this make sense? Or am I asking to break something down the road?

WHERE (((PropData.Property) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[PropSearch] & "*") AND ((PropData.Address) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[AddressSearch] & "*") AND (IIf([Forms]![Main]![Check40]=-1, ((PropData.NextMaturity) Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx]),"")))

Windows XP Access 2000
    OK, here is one way:
    Create two more text boxes on the form "Main":

Name: DateMin1
    Visible = No
    Default = #1/1/1800#

Name: DateMax1
    Visible = No
    Default = #12/31/3000#

Add code:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Check40_Click()
       If IsDate(Me.DateMin) And IsDate(Me.DateMax) Then
          If Me.Check40 = True Then
             Me.DateMin1 = Me.DateMin
             Me.DateMax1 = Me.DateMax
          Else
             Me.DateMin1 = #1/1/1800#
             Me.DateMax1 = #12/31/3000#
          End If
       End If
       Me.Requery
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Me.Requery
    End Sub
    Change the criteria in the query to:

Between [forms]![main].[datemin1] And [forms]![main].[datemax1]

If the dates in Me.DateMin and Me.DateMax are valid dates, put them in Me.DateMin1 and Me.DateMax1. Otherwise use the default dates of #1/1/1800# and #12/31/3000#.
    Both Me.DateMin and Me.DateMax must be valid dates..

Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsail77 View Post
    I think I fixed my own problem but am confused. I went into the SQL view and added the code in red below. This appears to work but I know nothing about SQL. In the design view a new column was created with the red text as the Field and <>False as a Criteria. Does this make sense? Or am I asking to break something down the road?

WHERE (((PropData.Property) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[PropSearch] & "*") AND ((PropData.Address) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[AddressSearch] & "*") AND (IIf([Forms]![Main]![Check40]=-1, ((PropData.NextMaturity) Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx]),"")))
    That is another way. But I would use

(IIf([Forms]![Main]![Check40]=-1, ((PropData.NextMaturity) Between [Forms]![Main].[DateMin] And [Forms]![Main].[DateMAx]),TRUE)))

So if Check40 is FALSE, the Where clause would evaluate to:

WHERE (((PropData.Property) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[PropSearch] & "*") AND ((PropData.Address) Like "*" & [Forms]![Main].[AddressSearch] & "*") AND TRUE

See if that makes any difference.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.