akshatagarwal93 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

how to import data into a split database

Hi,

I've been working on a database for a few months now. The user clicks a command button and can select a text file to import, which the code then does. All the imports go into the same table called 'Joint Data'. I also have a copy of this table as I have to perform some background checks on the imported data separately. At the moment the database is just a prototype and so I thought that splitting the database is the best way for various users to import their data into the front-end DB, which is then stored in the back-end DB which is kept in a secure location.

The problem I am having after splitting my DB is that when I import a text file (which I have tested before splitting), an error message appears basically saying this saved import does not exist. So on trying to (re) make the saved import, I then got another error saying:
    "You cannot record your changes because a value you entered violates the settings defined for this table or list...
    ... Correct the error and try again"

I think this means that my table set-up does not have the same fields as the text file or something but having checked through, this is not the case.

Am I trying to import the data in the wrong way?? Once again I'll remind you that this is the first time I've tried splitting any kind of database or even used a linked table.

Thanks
    AA93

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    More details please.
    How many different text files involved?
    How many users doing import?
    What are the steps involved?

This message
    a value you entered violates the settings defined for this table
    indicates your validation of the data is incorrect. If you are importing into a table with specific settings, you have to make sure those settings will exist before adding the data to the table.

Potentially there could be hundreds of text files all of the same format just consisting of slightly different data. Only one person would do the actual import but I have to assume he has no idea how a database works. Before splitting, he would select x number of text files to upload after clicking a command button and it would all magically happen...

Steps involved:
    - User clicks on Data Upload
    - Data is then appended to 'Copy of Joint Data'
    - Some checks are done on this
    - If data passes these checks then data appended to 'Joint Data' table

The reason the error message is strange is because the upload works on the 'Copy of Joint Data' which I made using the 'Joint Data' table by copying only its structure.

Thanks
    AA93

Just to let you know; I'm looking for anyway really to import data into my back-end. The user would have access to the front-end and should be able to just click a button and the import is done.

I've read somewhere about using append queries and making temporary tables but surely there must be an easier way? Btw, I will need to use some of the data in the back-end quite regularly (maybe bi or tri-weekly) in order to make reports etc.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.