Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Basically I would need a separate tables for each type of consolidated problem.
    Separate tables for each problem would not be the proper way to structure it. Trying to query any data would require separate queries for each and thus separate forms, reports etc. That would be an extremely messy situation that you want to avoid at all costs.

If a problem or ICD9 is related to another problem or ICD9 code, then you need a structure as follows (I'll just use the ICD9 codes as an example).

tblCodes
    -pkCodeID primary key, autonumber
    -ICD9CodeNumber
    -txtDescription

tblRelatedCodes
    -pkRelateCodeID primary key, autonumber
    -fkPCodeID foreign key to tblCodes (represents the primary code)
    -fkSCodeID foreign key to tblCodes (represents the code related to the primary code i.e. the secondary code)

Taking the 250.0 code example,

tblCodes
    pkCodeID|ICD9CodeNumber
    1|250.0
    2|250.02
    3|250.60

tblRelatedCodes
    pkRelateCodeID|fkPCodeID|fkSCodeID
    1|1|2
    2|1|3

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Designing a data base is much like designing anything -- you can design if without ever building it.
    You might wish to start considering the questions you want answered. These questions will involve Things, combination of things, subsets of things related to other things and grouped in various ways.
    The "Things" mean Entities and Tables; combinations means related things...

You can go through the data and analyze it without having "the ultimate data base design".

Have you looked at what is contained in "the other half of the data"?

I don't think you have too many constraints on your design at this point. But you have to have a good knowledge of the questions you want answered.

JJ22 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    Separate tables for each problem would not be the proper way to structure it. Trying to query any data would require separate queries for each and thus separate forms, reports etc. That would be an extremely messy situation that you want to avoid at all costs.

If a problem or ICD9 is related to another problem or ICD9 code, then you need a structure as follows (I'll just use the ICD9 codes as an example).

tblCodes
    -pkCodeID primary key, autonumber
    -ICD9CodeNumber
    -txtDescription

tblRelatedCodes
    -pkRelateCodeID primary key, autonumber
    -fkPCodeID foreign key to tblCodes (represents the primary code)
    -fkSCodeID foreign key to tblCodes (represents the code related to the primary code i.e. the secondary code)

Taking the 250.0 code example,

tblCodes
    pkCodeID|ICD9CodeNumber
    1|250.0
    2|250.02
    3|250.60

tblRelatedCodes
    pkRelateCodeID|fkPCodeID|fkSCodeID
    1|1|2
    2|1|3

I think I understand what you are trying to say. I spent the last week reading and understanding both excel and access. If I want each patient to have a consolidated problem (if patient has 10+ specific and unique type/status of diabetes II ICD9 codes, the are just lumped just as a diabetes II problem) why wouldn't the structure be:

tblPatient
    -pkPatiendID

tblPatientProblem
    -pkpatientproblemID
    -fkProblemID (Diabetes = 1)

tblProblems
    -pkproblemID (ie Diabetes type II would have codes 250.0, 250.02, 250.60)
    -Probdescript (diabetes II, hypothyroid, etc)

tblProblemCodes
    -pkProblemCode
    -fkproblemID (to link the codes to one problem)
    -fkCodeID

tblCodes
    -pkCodeID
    -Codedescript

I don't understand where the relatedcodes table is coming into play here or where that implementation goes.

Direct copy and paste of my problem list, de identified. You can see how patient 1 has three codes, all for what I see in the end as Diabetes, type II
    ID DOB Problem DX Name ICD9No Problem Status Prob Noted Dt Prob Resolved Dt
    1 4/17/1951 TYPE 2 DIABETES, HBA1C GOAL < 8% 250.00 Active 7/31/2011
    1 4/17/1951 DIABETIC RETINOPATHY, type II 250.5 Active 9/7/2011
    1 4/17/1951 Diabetic Neuropathy, type II 250.6 Active 9/7/2011
    2 12/28/1958 UNCONTROLLED TYPE 1 DIABETES WITH RETINOPATHY 250.03 Active 2/28/2012
    2 12/28/1958 DM NEURO MANIF TYPE I 250.61 Active 2/28/2012
    2 12/28/1958 CONTROLLED TYPE 1 DIABETES WITH RETINOPATHY, CONTROLLED 250.01 Active 4/28/2012

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I don't understand where the relatedcodes table is coming into play here or where that implementation goes.
    If a code is related to another code just as you described earlier then you would need the tblRelatedCodes. Now what you propose is to have a table of problems and related to those problems you would have the associated codes. I was interpreting codes and problems as 1 entity (the code identified the problem); you have separated them into 2. How you have it structured should work fine.

JJ22 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    If a code is related to another code just as you described earlier then you would need the tblRelatedCodes. Now what you propose is to have a table of problems and related to those problems you would have the associated codes. I was interpreting codes and problems as 1 entity (the code identified the problem); you have separated them into 2. How you have it structured should work fine.
    Thank you, and that makes sense based on what I have been learning so far.

I am sorry, I was vague. I have thousands of codes that I want to consolidate into a 15-20 problems. ICD9 codes can be under the same general category but they branch inorder to record more detail. Thus I want to lump them back together for my research as a consolidated problem. I don't have the number of subjects to have individual codes in addition to the variance on how the codes were actually assigned.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you are moving along well on the table structure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.