shariq1989 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Moving Backend

I thought this whole split database thing was going to make my life so much easier.. and so far it has just been a pain in the rear. My newest issue:

So I was playing with my backups. My files are:

F:\Backup\BE\database_BE
    F:\Backup\database_FE

As a test I moved a copy of database_BE to F:\, so now it is located at F:\database_BE.
    I used the Linked Table Manager to update the location of the BE and hit "Always prompt for new location". The source was now visibly updated in the manager. I closed and reopened the FE and the Table Manager kept the updated BE. Awesome. Now I proceeded to copy the old BE in "F:\Backup\BE\database_BE" and moved it to a folder called Trash. Tried to open the FE again and it did the same thing it was doing before where it went straight to the New Database page because Access could not open it. Pulled the old BE back out of Trash and the FE worked fine. When I went into the Table Manager, it was still linked to the new BE. I don't know why the FE is staying dependent on the old BE but it ruins the whole concept of Split DB for me. ugh...

EDIT:
    When I do move the BE in F:\database_BE which is what the FE is linked to, the FE opens but the tables dont open. This is great but I just don't understand why the FE is still connected to the old BE location and refuses to open if that BE file is moved.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If this db will be located on a network server for multiple users, recommend UNC (Universal Naming Convention) pathing for the table links. Review:
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html

However, that won't resolve the issue you are having, which doesn't make sense to me either. Want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.