genesis is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Access versus FileMaker Pro Advanced

I have researched about Filemaker pro, thought I can say their IDE is not very user friendly and their script compared to vba is not very much powerful and their find compared to query is not very much extensive

However, I find that their database size limit is 7 terabyte and has simple good security feature compared to 2 gigabyte and database level password security of access.

Why cant microsoft provide such feature to access, giving access database up to 7 terabyte capacity and better security like Filemaker pro. I dont know why microsoft cant while FileMaker can.

If the reason is just because for profit, filemaker pro has sold many copies too of their product and also they have also created their own filemaker server edition.

Comments and opinions are welcome.

kmullins is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Access versus Filemaker

It is not my intention to start a flame war, but in my opinion Access is intended for a smaller market than Filemaker. Sharing an Access database in a workgroup isn't very advisable, defiantly doable, but not the best option, security, stability, etc. And now with MSSQL Lite there really is no reason for Microsoft to move it in that direction. Filemaker on the other hand for the last 6 or more years has really focused on the workgroup market segment which is really filling a need between Access and MSSQL.

Filemaker will never ever be MSSQL and Access will never be enhanced to work better in the workgroup because of MSSQL so Filemaker will always have a major market with little competition, unless you count Alpha Five, Servoy or any of the others out there trying to fill the void between Access and MSSQL.

Kevin

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.