MHernan1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Comparing data entered daily with data entered monthly?

Hello,

I am fairly new to access but so far I have been able to get what i need from it, until now. I am trying to find a way of comparing two sets of data to find out an employee's average productivty.

Table 1 -Hours Worked (by day)
    - contains 'name' 'date' and '# of hours' worked
    - an employee would enter the hours here on a daily basis

Table 2 - Contracts Keyed (by month)
    - contains the number of contracts worked that is derived from seperate system
    - this is entered on a monthly basis (so for example: John keyed 30 contracts for the month of January)
    - the system i am pulling this info from does not have the ability to pull a daily count of contract per employee, only a range of dates and it then provides the sum for that range (unless I ran a query for each day, for each employee which would take me hours)
    - employees dont have access to this system to enter their own # of contracts keyed on a daily basis.
    - for entry, so far i have just been putting the first of the month and then the # of contracts.

In a nutshell, this is the calculation I am trying to create:

(Sum of "# of hours" for the month) / (total "# of contracts keyed" for the month) = employees average hourly productivity.

I have tried to do this with various types of queries and reports but with no luck, I get a prompt saying that access can't compare the 2 fields.

Is there a way to compare the data that is entered daily with the data i would enter montly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

avarusbrightfyre is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    How are you planning to use this information? Did you want something that just printed the result onto the screen so you can write it down or are you looking for a professional break-down of the information?

MHernan1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What i would like to do is eventually have a report or query that would do the calculations for me, the end result would just be a report with 'x' amount of hours, 'x' amount of contracts and the the average of contract per hour. To be honest, I am not quite sure what would be entailed in a "professional breakdown" but I would like a report that i can provide to management etc....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.