gkaro is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Data Import from SAP BW

Hi all,

looking for a way to import / link data from an SAP BW data source.
    I have been successful doing this from excel using the 'SAP BW OLE DB provider' but am having no luck doing the same with Access.
    Any help would be appreciated.

thanks very much
    G

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    did you set up a windows odbc source for that?

you can do it and use it for access too, couldn't you?

gkaro is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    thanks for your reply...but not exactly sure what you mean. There is an .odc connection file that was created.
    Is this the file that you refer to? If so, how can Access use this file?

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    no no, I was asking how you set up the odbc tunneling from xl to sap. how did you? what medium did you use?

gkaro is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The steps were as follows:

Data
    Other Sources
    Data connection wiz
    other/advanced
    I use
    SAP BW OLE DB Provider

ragsgold is offline Access & Excel Developer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Not sure which version of access you are using. I use 2010 but remember it was the same in 2007 too. External Data\ODBC database - select link and when the menu pops up you select the tab "Machine Data Source" there your SAP and SAP BW DB providers should show up. Click it and it will open up the list and you pick the specific one you need. I have used this in Access 2010 and havnt had any issues.

gkaro is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I am following the steps and there is no SAP or SAP BW DB providers in the list.
    Does that mean that an addin needs to be installed. It didnt in Excel...

thanks Again.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaro View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I am following the steps and there is no SAP or SAP BW DB providers in the list.
    Does that mean that an addin needs to be installed. It didnt in Excel...

thanks Again.
    Yes this actually means your ODBC32 driver needs to be created and typically someone in IT will be able to help you with that its a quick job. the file is located in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" and that exe file is where the driver needs to be created and once thats done you will see in the listing. This is not a addin but its a driver

gkaro is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi ragsgold,
    I WISH I had IT support of this sort. I think I may be on my own. Would you be able to help?
    If Im understanding correctly, the path above is a link to a OBDC administrator of sorts...
    If I run it I get a screen that has 3 preinstalled data sorts in the DSN tab. If I click on add, I get a whole list of (I think drivers??) but there in nothink in the list for SAP or BW or anything close...
    Is this the process you were referring to?

thank so much again!
    G

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaro View Post
    Hi ragsgold,
    I WISH I had IT support of this sort. I think I may be on my own. Would you be able to help?
    If Im understanding correctly, the path above is a link to a OBDC administrator of sorts...
    If I run it I get a screen that has 3 preinstalled data sorts in the DSN tab. If I click on add, I get a whole list of (I think drivers??) but there in nothink in the list for SAP or BW or anything close...
    Is this the process you were referring to?

thank so much again!
    G
    Hi gkaro,

the path I gave you leads to the exe file which is also in the path i gave you "odbcad32.exe" when you double click and open it you will

First see the tab "USER DSN" here is where the driver needs to be added if it is not present. I am assuming it already exists because you use SAP for your day to day. The tricky part here is companys/IT department create many drivers due to various reasons and it can be created with any name not necessarily need to have the word "SAP" I can create the driver with my name to what really matters is giving the correct DNS server settings outer name doesnt matter. thats why i suggested you to contact your IT or any SAP administrator - BASIS or SAP security guys around they can help you.

Second reason is if you double click on these drivers you see that are listed and you would see a tab called "Basic" in that you have a field "database directory" this is your companys local SAP server location basically server name and path of the SAP instillation files. This again is unique to company and some one in IT has to help.

Second tab on the same menu "Server" - can be left blank;Logon you give your Domain name,your SAP logon and password;"Options" tab fields can be left blank but need to check the check boxes Dirty read,burst mode,strip trailing spaces,catche size as 4 MB; last two tabs can be left blank - Debug it auto populates.

It is not complicated but just need a lot of input which common users may not have access

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.