CSGabriel is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

VBA code or Access Macro

Hello everyone, first time posting on the forums. Here's the run down of what I need to do and then my question.

I currently have 2 different spreadsheets. The main working copy, and then a completed. Every day new customers and # of pieces will be entered into the spreadsheet. (It's for a shipping department) When ever a X is enetered in the 'completed' section. I need said rows of information that have an 'x' to move into the next page called "Completed". Then move everything left up a cell in the working page. I currently have everything working in the Excel file. VBA code, etc etc. When I presented the projected, it was what they wanted but I need it on a sharepoint site. Looking around at the other tracking list that they have. It seems the 'database/spreadsheet' side of things are done in Access. To have a interactive spreadsheet like this. Or am I wrong? Not really sure If I should be continuing to work in Sharepoint or Access. It doesn't seem like you can run code, macros and such thru sharepoint. Have only been working with Sharepoint for a few weeks now.

My question is: Would it be easier to just run macros inside of Access, instead of trying to run the code from Excel. Can you achieve what I want to do with just the macros inside of Access? I started to brainstorm and It seems like I wouldn't even need to use Excel and just stick with doing everything in Access. I've never worked in Access so I'm kinda in over my head here. I'm not sure even how to go about writing the 'macro' in access to do what I need.

I'll have to zip my files together tonight and upload em since I can't just upload a single file to the site. If anyone could help with code, step by step, tutorials. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Generally that would all be doable in Access (caveat: I have no experience with Sharepoint). I don't use macros, but you may be referring to VBA code anyway, since that seems to be what Excel calls VBA code. In Access you have both macros and VBA code, two different animals. VBA is more powerful and flexible than macros are.

You could have two transaction tables in Access, but it would typically make more sense to leave everything in one table (there would typically be other tables for customers, etc). Leaving them in one table lets you easily filter to get completed, not completed or all, as desired.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.