Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ksmith is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Another Weird Problem

I have two versions of a application. I make the changes in version 1, copy the changes to version 2. Version 2 is then copied to the local plant server so the folks of the plant floor can have access to the new changes i just made. How I have made the updates in the past, was open version 1 and then open version 2. Copy the report, form, query or whatever i changed and then paste to version 2. If I was changing an existing report, form or query i would be prompted to overwrite an existing file. Reply (yes) and the update date would be made.

This morning I went through this same process, one I have done many, many time before, and now I get an error message.
    Could not use 'C:\User\Temp\Documents\My Program/accdb'; file already in use.

I don't understand what's going on, I haven't changed security settings. Has anyone else had any problems with this kind of thing?

KSmith

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have had this problem numerous times - but not recently.
    In my case, the MS Access lock file [databasename.laccdb] was still in existence - even though the user who had opened it had subsequently exited the database.
    Go to where the database is on your network and see if the .laccdb file is still there for that db.
    Just make sure everyone who uses the database has exited - and if they HAVE - and the .laccdb file is still there - delete the laccdb file.
    On a couple of occasions, I have needed help from the Network Admin to kill that file when I have not been able to do it from my pc.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks Robeen for your reply. The two databases that I'm talking about are on my (Local) PC. And both of them do not have a .laccdb file. This process that I'm talking about is something that have done many times over the last couple of years, where I open the 'development database’ and then copy changes to the ‘working database’. Then I copy the ‘working database’ to the plant server.

I really appreciate you trying to help.
    KSmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    You might also try and open the task manager look at the Processes tab and make sure that MS Access is not there. It's rare but I have had it happen. One of the Access processes got hung up and even though I had exited Access and the laccdb file wasn't there it still had that process hung in space. If you're 100% sure that No instance of Access is open and that process is still in task manager kill it. If that's not it and the laccdb isn't there I'm stumped.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks Ray for your reply. I checked the Task Manager and there's no instances of a laccdb file. So, i guess we are both stumped on this one.

Please reply back if you think of anything else.
    KSmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    No in task manager you're not looking for laccdb your looking for an instance of MS Access.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry Ray that's what I meant.

KSmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Ok, have you tried rebooting your machine?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I just rebooted my machine, same results. During this time I went to another computer and tried the same kind of thing, where I opened two different Access databases and was able to copy a report or form, from one database to the other one. This is what I used to be able to do on my computer but now i can't. Is there a setting that you know of they I may have switched or did something to that may be causing this problem?

KSmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    New one on me.

Windows XP Access 2007
    RayMilhon,

I have been doing some looking around and I have discovered some things. The computer that I used is NOT creating a .laccdb file for any database that I open. I got my laptop out and was playing around with different things. On my laptop when I open a database from a folder, by navigating to the folder and then clicking on the database name to open it. The database opens, and you can see the .laccdb file. And when you close the database the .laccdb goes away. On my destop when you do the same thing, the database opens BUT I don't see the .laccdb file.

Have I changed something somewhere to cause this? I also have tested this on another desktop machine and it performs like my laptop.

KSmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Ok, I think I know what the problem is. The laccdb file is being created and is hanging up the problem is that it's being created in a folder other than where you think it is. Do a search of your entire harddrive for laccdb see if any pop up anywhere with No instance of Access opened. let me know if you find anything.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access NOT creating a laccdb file

Ray,
    Thanks for the reply. I searched for the .laccdb file, and I cannot find it anywhere on my machine, for ANY of the applications that I have. Here’s what I have done to check this. I have opened several different applications from the folder location by double-clicking on the file name the application opens but no .laccdb file.

I have tried the above on different machines in the office and they all work as you would expect, as soon as the application opens the .laccdb file is created and as soon as you close the application the .laccdb file goes away.

I have looked at everything in Access Options and nothing looks out of place. Once I get everything setup I rarely even open this unless I need to change something, which is rare.

ksmith

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Ray,

I figured it out....! In Access Options, Advance (Group), Default open mode (section); I had somehow selected the Exclusive button. I changed it back to Shared, and it works. Access does not make a .laccdb file whenyou have Exclusive selected.

ksmith

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Good Catch. I'd never noticed that before about the laccdb file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.