Dorothy is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Unwanted Lookups automatically added to Forms

I'm a beginner in Access and just completed a 3 day class. Was doing fine until a few days ago. I created a table in a new database, and put in a lookup in one of the fields of the table. Realizing that I should have done this in the corresponding form instead, I tried to delete it. When I created the form, the control for that table field had the up/down lookup arrows on the control, even though there was no list to look up. Could not delete it. I started over with a new database and got the same results.

Now - every single form I try to create, either in existing databases or new ones, has the lookup arrows on every control of a text field. I am not adding lookups to the tables or the forms.The forms have no lists of data to look up, just the arrows. How do I get rid of this? I have done several dozen tests and keep getting the same results. This is extremely frustrating.

RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Welcome to the world of MS Access or as I like to call welcome to the world of what the hell did I just do? If you can upload your DB I'll take a look this weekend.

Example of form with lookup arrows.

I just created a database with one table and one form as an example. I didn't change any of the formatting on the form so you can see what it is doing. It allows you to type in the control on the form, but when you press enter the text disappears. What am I doing wrong? I open Access, choose new blank database, create the table in design view, save it. Create form, use all the table fields, and this is what I get every time. I would appreciate any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    ...When I created the form, the control for that table field had the up/down lookup arrows on the control, even though there was no list to look up.

...Now - every single form...has the lookup arrows on every control of a text field.
    That's because these are not 'up/down lookup arrows!' They have nothing to do with your ill-advised Table-level Lookup Fields! They are Vertical Scrollbars, and by default they appear on all Textbox Controls where the Bound Field's Datatype is Text. If you went into Form Design View and made the Textbox taller, the fact that it is a Scrollbar would be more apparent.

Displaying the Vertical Scrollbars for these kind of Textboxes became the Default with version 2007. If you don't like the look

1. Go into Form Design View
    2. Right-Click the Control in question
    3. Click on Properties - Format
    4. Set the Scroll Bars to None

The 'disappearing' data is probably due to the fact that in 2007/2010, the Default for the Enter Key Behavior is 'New Line in Field,' and by hitting <Enter> you're adding a new line and the text is scrolling upward and out of sight..

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Scrollbars....I have been working with Access for the past month and did not have these appear until a few days ago. At least I can now get rid of them. Many thanks!

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Glad we could help! Scrollbars only appear, by default, when the Textbox is Bound to a Field defined as Text, and only when the Textbox has the Focus. They do not appear, by default, on Unbound Textboxes.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.