mmcgrath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Signing an Access Database

Hi All

I have a question similar to others regarding digitally signing a database but with a pen. I have a simple database. Its designed in version 97 but will be upgraded anyway to 2010. The simple easy to do it i have working was to add a graphics pad with a stylus and i got this working. Unfortunately it looks like the signatures are from kinder garden kids. I was going along the lines of a windows based tablet. DO these run Access and what software can i use to make the signature.

Any suggestions are welcome. See attachment for screen shot of form

Thanks

Malcolm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails line_inspection.JPG   line_inspection.JPG  

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    That depends entirely on the OS/capabilities of the specific Tablet you choose.

If you want to use Access on the Tablet, then you will need to find one capable of running a "full" version of Windows: Windows CE won't cut it. You'll also need to make sure that it's fast enough and has enough memory to run Access.

Perhaps a better option is to get cards made with a unique ID encoded on them. Then you can plug a card reader into the computer and the user won't even need to sign anything, they just swipe their card and *VIOLA*

Of course, you'll need to stress to the user how important it is that they NOT lose their cards or let others use them.

Thanks Rawb,

Our clock card solution is rfid based using a mayfare system. I assume the problem there is access to the cards is not secure where as a signature is easy to identify. This database is to record that a person officially has been trained on a job. I have an all in one touch screen pc but it wouldnt look great on its back while we sign. I suppose i will have to talk with the makers of the tablets. Is there any other ideas?
    Microsoft were no use when i called them
    Malcolm

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Well, I understand the security issues with using swipe cards (also the need to continually replace them as they wear out, etc.). . .

Unless you can find a ready-made app for recording signatures somehow (even if it's just to a flat file somewhere), I don't know how you'd do it.

You might be able to get away with some form of biometric device (say, a thumb scanner), but I've never used those with Access before.

i myself was thinking a report printed, signed and scanned back in and linked via hyperlink. Seems the easiest option.

But its prefered to not use paper even though its a solid backup to a systems failure

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.